Chapter 68

Final

Final

The door was closed, but I didn't care much. I knew he was inside by the noise I could faintly hear. My knocks didn't matter to him, and that tested my patience. I kicked the door like a crazy, hysterical, and neurotic woman. On the third kick, I managed to open it violently.

As expected, Max was sitting in the main chair at his desk with a bold woman, the latter sitting on top of the desk. Upon noticing my presence, the bold woman stood up in surprise, causing Max's hand, which was on her leg, to fall, while I took a few steps forward with a piercing gaze.

"You." I addressed the girl with the prominent neckline. "Get out."

The girl stepped back, leaning against the wall, while I approached Max.

"We had a deal, Max. Freya, your wife, is untouchable." I muttered with violence. "What part of our conversation didn't you hear?"

Max let out a nasal laugh, amused by my tantrum. "Norman was the deal." he mocked, pointing at me.

"What's the damn difference? She's your wife, and you let Jeanine crush her."

"She's a traitor."

"She's my mother!" I shouted, hitting the table.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the bold woman still against the wall, witnessing the scene. I grabbed my knife. "I told you to get out!" I yelled, and in a surprising, swift, and violent act, I threw the knife, managing to embed it into the wall next to the girl's neck, who started to cry and run.

I turned back to Max. "Now you owe me a new wall." He said.

"And you owe me gratitude." I leaned on the table, leaning towards him. "What are you going to do to Freya?" I murmured, my jaw clenched.

"What you do to any traitor." he shrugged.

"There's no betrayal." I retorted, standing up. "You knew she was divergent, you always knew who she was, and you protected her. I saw how you loved her and gave her everything. What changed?"

"Do you think it doesn't hurt me?" he asked, raising his voice. "I protected her from everything, even from myself. There was only one condition: she was going to be the only divergent in Dauntless, she wasn't going to save anyone. She wasn't going to go against the hunting of divergents, and she lied to me. Have you seen what's on the disc? It helped Andrea, do you have any idea how many lives could have been saved?"

I rubbed my nose bridge, letting out a sigh.
"Don't kill her." I pleaded.

"It's not up to me anymore."