Chapter 47

I have never been to a funeral; I do not know what it feels like to lose a loved one

I have never been to a funeral; I do not know what it feels like to lose a loved one. Norman never allowed me to attend the ones Amity held when someone from the faction died. I never took the time to think about death, about how I would die, I never gave it any importance because Norman did not teach me to give it respect or fear. I saw it as something normal, and if it happened, it was because of destiny. For the first time, I felt death running down my neck, the adrenaline of ceasing to exist in a couple of seconds, and I hated it. I refuse to die at the hands of 5 unknown people. It was a woman who had brutally beaten me, the one responsible for the blood and the pain, holding me by the neck.

"Bitch, I hope you burn in hell." she growled.

The adrenaline and the pain prevented me from recognizing the voice, and even more so when the blade of a knife pierced my thigh with force. I screamed, letting out the pain from my throat as tears flowed constantly. I sobbed as I continued to be held by the arms.

"Quick, throw her." she ordered, grabbing me by the legs.

The pain was unbearable, but I could not allow myself to die, not today, so I kicked my legs, trying to ignore the pain several times with all my strength to get them to release my feet. I managed to throw the girl to the ground, but there were two more who continued to struggle, as the other two seemed indecisive.I felt the edge of the abyss at my heels, the coldness running down my back, and my heart jumped energetically and worriedly.

"No!" I yelled as I made an effort against them.I grabbed the balaclava of one of the three, managing to pull it off completely, revealing a long, blond mane.

Genesis. My eyes widened, I do not want to die.

My injured foot slipped, scraping my knee on the edge as I tried to hold onto the cliff with half my body. I grabbed someone's heel, but received stomps on my arms instead.

"No, Four! Eric!" I screamed amid sobs.

I received several kicks from at least three people, and one of them was Genesis. Hurried footsteps approached and gradually faded away, the other two had gone.

"Where are you going, cowards?" Ian's voice made my lip tremble. "Hey!" His shout brought me great relief.  "Stop!"

Distracted, I received a kick that made me fall to the edge, exhaling forcefully as I clung to it, my life literally hanging by a thread, trying to ignore the knife still embedded in my leg.With difficulty, I saw two managed to escape while the only person I managed to unmask was being beaten by Eric, who finished by smashing Genesis's head against the wall, rendering her unconscious. Four was just arriving in a trot until Eric's arrival blocked my view. Quickly, he took hold of my arms, lifting me up. The tremors continued throughout my body, along with my teary eyes, and without even processing it, I threw myself into Eric's chest, embracing him tightly, a hug that was reciprocated, holding me firmly.