Chapter 61

"You were lucky," the blue-haired girl murmured in front of me

I grimaced, though I actually wanted to smile. I was sitting on a stretcher while the girl tended to my wounds. Despite her slender build, she managed to reset my nose, which hurt terribly but at least it wasn't bleeding anymore.

With the explosion of the van, my mistake was embracing Eric because several metal fragments embedded in my arm, and now she's removing them. I don't regret hugging him, it meant fewer metal pieces in his back.

"I guess so." I whispered. "What's your name?"

"Dana." she smiled and continued extracting them.

"Do you usually work this shift, Dana?" I asked, looking around.

"No." she cleared her throat. "The girl on duty asked for a break, she said she wasn't feeling well." she shrugged.

"Andrea?" I furrowed my brow.

"Yes, her." she smiled. "She tends to leave, although I don't want to get her in trouble. I know she has a partner, and I feel it's normal, she's in love."

I nodded with a grimace. "And Derek?" I asked, noticing she was alone.

"He's taking care of Eric, I guess he took a break."she frowned, glancing around the room.

I furrowed my brow, letting her work. Her being alone was strange, there are usually at least two nurses on duty. I let the topic pass and focused on watching what Dana was doing. I thought if Andrea was really sick,  I  should visit her. Perhaps it's due to a lack of blood, and if she's not sick, at least I know she'll be with Four.

She removed the stitches from my hand, saying they were about to become ingrown, so there was no need to wait three days, which I accepted. She finished bandaging my arms and injected me with some morphine for the pain. I got up from the stretcher.

"Thank you, Dana." I smiled.

"No problem. Here, I'll leave you these medications. One is an antibiotic, you take one every 12 hours, and the other is for pain, take one every 6 hours. Okay? If anything, I'll be here." she said, handing me a plastic bag with two wallets of medications inside.

"Thanks again." I took the plastic bag.

Instead of walking to the exit, I approached the room where they had left Eric. I couldn't help myself; I was willing to lose a bit of dignity to know how he was doing. I opened the door without asking Dana for permission and closed it behind me, seeing Eric lying on the bed, awake, and with a phone in his hand.

He looked up as I approached. What should I do?

"How are you feeling?" I whispered, moving to the chair beside the bed and sitting down.

"Like shit." he complained.

"At least the record is safe." I shrugged. "Your sacrifice was worth it."