Chapter 63

It's been 3 days since that loss in the field. They found the missing erudite with a broken neck on the outskirts of the barrier near Amity. It seems like they were scared, unsure of what to do, and felt the pressure on their necks as we were about to defeat them... Or at least, that's what I tell myself.

After my conversation with Eric on the rooftop, the next day when I was taking some information to my room, I found him kissing a girl on the stairs leading up to the dormitories, making it clear that he would never change. I've been doing an excellent job of ignoring him.

I've gathered all the information I collected in my room, and I haven't left there for two days. However, a certain bartender invited me out, and upon seeing myself in the mirror with dark circles, looking worn out and completely neurotic, I decided it was time to get out a bit, so I accepted.

He sent for me to bring a black dress, tight to my figure, something I wasn't accustomed to, but I accepted because when I tried it on, it convinced me. I was in the bathroom curling my hair while thinking about the main suspects, the guards that Eric sent to chase them, and in the forest ahead, we found them coming out unharmed with at least one bruise. It seemed illogical to me, especially since Tiana was shot in the stomach and was further behind than them. I had finished bathing, painting, drying my hair, and styling it. I wrapped the towel around my body because I was naked and opened the bathroom door.

In the doorway, I rolled my eyes with a sigh. "The day before yesterday I changed the locks, how did you manage to get in?" I asked bitterly.

Eric turned to look at me with a smile and then returned his gaze to the map, information, and mess he had. He raised his hand, showing a key. "The guy who changed your locks gave it to me, he was very kind." he shrugged.

I rolled my eyes. "They're kind when you threaten them, and that doesn't count." I walked to the closet, passing by him. "What are you doing here?"

"Are you going out?" he asked.

"I asked first." I frowned as I took out my underwear.

"I haven't seen you in days, just making sure you haven't committed suicide." he shrugged. "Are you going out?"

"Yes." I responded casually, walking to the bed and placing my underwear next to the dress and heels.

"With whom?" Eric asked, settling on the bed.

"Tom." I shrugged. "I want to change, do you mind?" I asked with a grimace.

"You didn't used to be shy." he raised his eyebrows flirtatiously.

I still rolled my eyes, sitting on the bed with my back to him as I removed the towel and put on my underwear naturally, feeling Eric's gaze on me.

"Why Tom?" he suddenly asked. "I thought your taste would improve, but from a leader to a bartender." he scoffed. "You've sunk low."

I smiled, turning to take the dress Tom had given me and put it on, approaching the mirror to adjust it. "It's not about what he is, it's about what he has." I smiled innocently, turning to face him as he leaned back on the mattress, propping himself up with his elbows, staring at me intently. "And if you don't know his story, you shouldn't judge him." I shrugged.

I looked at myself in the mirror, noticing a problem with the zipper that I didn't want to let on. I smiled and walked over to him.

Today, I'm going to play with the guy who's been playing with me since I arrived in Dauntless.

I sat on his lap with my back to him, and immediately felt him jump as he didn't expect it, his hands on my behind while mine rested on the mattress on either side of his hips.