Chapter 35

I still didn't have an official title as a leader

I still didn't have an official title as a leader. I hadn't even completed both stages entirely, and Max and Freya hadn't offered me a position like that. I still had a long way to go, and yet the burden was placed on my shoulders by Eric, who tasked me with planning not only the strategy for the defensive group guarding the flag but also for the offensive group for the surprise attack.

My mind was divided in two, with time running out and Eric observing my progress. I was on the verge of tears several times, like a little girl waiting for the blue-eyed guy to come to my rescue, but it didn't happen. I stayed strong through it all, and now we were about to attack, hidden while Dona had instructions to cut off the power supply to leave them in the dark.

It was a tall building with only one entrance, a parking lot with old, rusty cars, and the lights on, illuminating every corner of the entrance. Four
was in position with the weapon, alongside Ian, Jim, and three others I didn't know at all.

It was a very risky plan. The seven of us were behind a large bush, at least a meter and a half tall, with the weapon aimed at an opponent. I had Jim in my sights, and as soon as the lights went out, we would shoot, having the advantage that they weren't moving, they looked like statues except for Four, who was constantly moving.

And it happened, the lights went out, and it was less than a millisecond, thanking that we had good reflexes when we all shot, and the emergency red lights came on. Jim's scream gave me relief, seeing him fall along with Ian and another one made me stand up and run towards the entrance. I was about to reach it when Eric grabbed my arm and pulled me to a car, watching several neuro-simulator bullets pass by me. I bumped my back against the rear bumper of the car with Eric in front of me shooting. He stopped, crouching down to my level.

"What? First time?" he smiled. "Don't be scared, Cyprian. It's going to get even more fun." He took position again and started shooting.

The others were behind the different cars, shooting as well, so I grabbed my weapon and positioned myself on the other side of where Eric was, starting to shoot at the born faction members that Four had chosen, managing to hit one who was about to go after Chris, who was part of our group.

A gap opened at the entrance, and I gathered my courage and slowly emerged from hiding. Ian was lying on the ground, recovering from the pain. He looked up and saw me advancing, widening his eyes and opening his mouth as if to shout since I was practically in his line of sight, and no one noticed me.

I smiled and shot him in the neck, his muffled scream coming again. As I was turning, I saw Four  shooting from the front of the car towards Eric, so I crouched down again, preparing myself. I propelled my knees with my index finger on the trigger and stood up a bit, managing to shoot the brunette. I walked towards where Eric was, smiling at Four lying on the ground.

"Two grenades towards the entrance, now." I whispered, raising my hand.

He obeyed and handed one to me. "Keep pressure on the lever, pull the pin, and throw." he explained. I nodded. "One, two..."