Chapter 41

Trust is one of the hardest things I've faced since I've been in Dauntless

Trust is one of the hardest things I've faced since I've been in Dauntless. Now I understand why they divided us into factions: to maintain peace. Amity would be prey in Dauntless; it would shatter the happiness they seek to have. In Amity, everyone trusts and loves each other, they can entrust their lives to others without hesitation, while in Dauntless, there's no mercy. In this faction, fear and paranoia consume you, especially if you're divergent like me.

I find myself at a point where I appreciate Norman's way of upbringing. He taught me to suppress my emotions and thoughts, he taught me to distrust like any other Dauntless member. Perhaps he always knew I would leave; I had to prepare myself for this world called Dauntless. And here I am, on the rooftop where I once jumped, where I met the man who now owns my feelings. I was sitting, looking from the edge at the deep hole in the ground where a net was perfectly hidden at the bottom, while I thought about what had just happened at least an hour ago. Maybe paranoia will drive me insane; I can't stop thinking about what I told Four.

Why am I so stupid? I shouldn't have told him; I should have stayed strong and kept quiet after saying "Amity". He let me go after admitting that I'm divergent; he told me not to worry, but it's obvious that I am.

"Are you getting bored?" His voice made me jump. I turned around to find Eric's mocking smile a few feet away from me. I chuckled and shook my head.

"I needed to catch some sun. " I shrugged.

He walked towards me, and I noticed he was wearing his jacket, the same jacket he had lent me when I was left without a shirt after the fight with Hall. "I swear I was going to return it today; the dry cleaner couldn't get the blood out." I commented.

He smiled, shaking his head. "Yeah, right." He rolled his eyes. He approached me, closing the distance until my back lightly touched the concrete. He gave me a half-smile, taking my hands to wrap them around his neck and holding me by the waist, lifting me and placing me on the building's ledge. Our distance was even closer now, allowing me to wrap my legs around his waist, bringing us face to face. I held back a sigh as I looked at him like a crazy person in love, admiring his blue eyes and perfectly chiseled face. He leaned in, and our lips met, and I let myself be carried away by their warmth and softness, holding the back of his neck to deepen the kiss.

I moved in sync with his, letting him take the lead. This kiss was different; there was gentleness, and I could even swear there was tenderness despite his aggressive movements. It was the kind of kiss that didn't need an explanation to happen; we just needed to connect our lips and feel as close to each other as possible.

What if Genesis was wrong? I wished for that, I wished she was mistaken, and that this was different, that Eric had changed, and what was growing between us was unlike anything that happened with the other girls he just played with. Because otherwise, I would end up with a completely shattered heart, miserable, watching from afar as he hunted his next prey. We broke the kiss, parting our lips but with no intention of separating our bodies. He ran his tongue over his bottom lip, looking at my lips with a smile.