Chapter 20

Freya's behavior lingered in my mind; I couldn't shake off that feeling that she was telling me my father was in danger. Sometimes my mind played tricks on me, suggesting that Freya might be in danger, and my father could be the cause.

I didn't know how to interpret the situation or if I should do anything about it. And if I did decide to act, what were the chances of success?

I need to investigate Norman; there must be a record in Amity of all those born there.

I walked quickly through the pit, finished eating, and went to leave the plate in the dining area. I didn't see any of my friends or acquaintances along the way, so without any distractions, I swiftly headed to the training room, where I eagerly awaited Four's lesson, one that I might even enjoy, since Genesis wouldn't be there. I entered the training room; at least two people were training in one corner of the ring, and despite their presence, the place looked empty. I continued walking to the back, where we usually took our training. I could make out Eric's back, who was standing in front of the board, his head was turned downwards, occasionally lifting it to check the board.

I frowned as I approached him because Four was nowhere to be seen around. I positioned myself beside him carefully, trying to be as stealthy as possible. As I got closer, I could see the screen in his hands, which he was typing on rapidly, and it seemed to be connected to the board as it moved accordingly.

"You're late."his voice was hoarse, a voice that hadn't uttered a word in quite a while, sounding demanding.

"Sorry." I apologized. "Freya said to finish eating."

"Mm-hm."he responded disinterestedly.

"And Four ? Freya said he would supervise the training," I asked.

"He won't."he replied bluntly.

"So, am I doing it alone then?" I asked, not understanding.

"I'll do it," he stated without taking his eyes off the screen.

I nodded slowly. Freya asked me to keep my distance from him. This won't be convenient.

I opened my mouth to speak, lifted my gaze, and immediately, my name on the board caught my attention.

"Why am I number four?" I asked indignantly. "Who is Mike?" I asked again.

Eric sighed wearily, glancing at me with annoyance. "Don't you ever get tired of asking?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"No, especially not when I'm number four."I responded indignantly.

His face showed someone who hadn't had a good day, someone who wasn't happy and just wanted silence.

"Mike is a born Dauntless , alright? Born
Dauntless and you train separately, but you'll be classified together. There was a change in organization for you, where you're number one." he said with irony. "I wouldn't worry about that board, Grace. This one here."he pointed to the one in front of us, "is the one that matters, the one you should be concerned about right now," he said, lowering the screen and turning it off.

"Why are they showing us this just now?" I asked.

"It was Four's job to do it, but Genesis insisted. You were below the line, I spoke with Max and Freya, and now I have to do it and show it," he shrugged, turning to face me.

I nodded in surprise. "Thank you."

"I'm giving you too many chances, Grace. At the end of the first stage, I want to see you in first place, understood?" he demanded. "Otherwise, I'll disqualify you myself in the second stage. Now, why aren't you warming up?"