Chapter 55

The arrival had been quite comfortable, even peaceful as we watched the glass fogging up and quickly filling with drops

The arrival had been quite comfortable, even peaceful as we watched the glass fogging up and quickly filling with drops. He turned on the air conditioning while I once again enjoyed his large, rough hand resting on my leg.

"Nice necklace." he complimented.

"Thank you." I replied, fingering my necklace, remembering it was hanging around my neck.

We were engulfed in silence, with the rain contributing to the sound. I let go of my necklace and instinctively placed my hand on top of his, providing a constant caress over his knuckles with various scars. It seemed he didn't mind; occasionally, he glanced at the scene, but then returned his focus to the road, enjoying my touch.

I was about to close my eyes when the noise from the seat behind me startled me, making me turn my attention back and see a cardboard box.

"What do you have there?" I asked.

He grimaced. "It was supposed to be until we reached the faction." he shouted.

Then the meow of a cat sounded from inside the box.

"Is there a cat?" I asked.

Eric pulled over on the side of the road, parked the transport, left the keys in the ignition, leaned his arm on the steering wheel, and looked at me.

"Do you really think I would forget what day it is today?" His smile shone brightly.

"In fact, I was counting on it." I replied.

He rolled his eyes, grabbed the constantly moving box, and handed it to me.

"Just don't let it slip that we traveled to Amity and I ordered a cat with specific characteristics for your birthday, it would damage my reputation." he grinned.

I opened the box, which had various holes. Inside was a small black cat with blue eyes and a red collar, lying on a black padded bed.

"It's a male." I said.

"I haven't seen pets in Dauntless, I thought they were prohibited." I said as I reached in to take the cat out of the box and placed the box at my feet. I put the cat on my lap and stroked it.

"Only a few people have pets." he cleared his throat. "In the Dauntless initiation, you have to kill a dog. Not everyone passes that."

"And your initiation was Amity, so that trauma isn't a part of you."

No, my initiation was inconclusive. I didn't kill the dog, I was smarter than him and had to tackle him to the ground. I looked up at the man of my life. "Thank you." I smiled. "It wasn't necessary, but I loved the gift. Thank you so much." I took his hand and squeezed it.

"You have to give him a name." he raised his eyebrows. "A worthy one. He's from Dauntless. He needs a good name."

"Can't I call him Sparkles?"