Chapter 2: Forbidden, Distant Family

Er-Nolan's POV the next day

I walk through the streets, going to get groceries. Yes, really exciting. I know. It's just a boring day after seeing the gang fight yesterday. I hear a portal and glance over, seeing Shino step through. She quickly is followed by her two older brothers with their scythes and Reaper hovering behind them before it shuts behind him. I see that she's wearing my scarf as they walk past me. Reaper has his list out and I see both of them frowning.

"Any souls here to take?"Raven asks

"Do I have to get this AU?"Goth asks

"A few souls but not many."Reaper says

"I like this AU...It looks nice..."Shino says

"Okay, it'll stay."Goth says, continuing to walk.

I frown as I watch them walk away.

"Shi-!"I begin but my voice gets cut off

I open my mouth to talk, but couldn't. Can't say Reaper, Goth, Raven, Shino, kids....NOTHING. My mouth shut tightly to prevent me and I frowned, sighing. I should've known better than to try that. I can't tell my name, what made me think I could shout for them? I simply watch from a distance.

"Oooo! A pretty park! Can I come here to play more?"Shino asks

"Sure, sweetie."Reaper says

"So, when are you going to show the video?"Goth asks

"What video?"

"Of Ink beating Gaster? Palette caught you recording when he wanted to confront Ink."Goth says

"I'll show it when I'm done with this list. Be back soon."He says, flying off with Raven

Goth sits on a bench, watching Shino play on the playground and swing on the bars. I wished I could reach out to them, reunite with them, just to talk to them, but couldn't. It's like I can feel eyes on me telling me no. I grin, watching one of my spiders climb onto Goth's back as one of my owls circle around the playground with a gaze locked on Shino. I walk away to do groceries, knowing what they will eventually reveal to my kids after the orders I trained them with.

After a few days I was finally able to get the reminders to disappear after completing dozens of tasks, giving me actual free time. I spend the time crafting or going to practice my skills in an isolated part of the park. Yet I learn that I'll have another job soon enough as Shino starts coming to the park more often...by herself...

No....She can't be here alone!

I learned very quickly that she's very clueless when having fun. Which means that I had to get very creative with ways to keep creeps away as she swung on swings, ran in the grass, or busied herself with random code screens. I had many methods after a bit to pick off threats from getting near her that went from subtle at a distance to quite blunt. I'd throw my spears and drag them back to face me away from her sight, jog by and punch them, or simply tackle whoever tries to sneak up on her and beat them away from her. All while she continues to play and her giggles echo to me. I watch from the shadows for the most part, always at a distance. Gaster can go screw himself if he thinks that I'm going to let my daughter get attacked or put through misery. He may be shitty at caring for his kids but I certainly won't parent like him.

Then one day I sat on a bench sharpening my spear when she walks over.

"What do you need that for?"She asks

"You can never be too safe, sweetie."I say, smiling at her.

"Ooh...Yeah, my Papa would agree with you on that."She says

I smile at her as she opens different code screens and grins. She holds my scarf tightly around her neck.

"I'm already getting closer to solving this."

Then an owl lands on her shoulder. One of my owls. She glances at it and grins as it rubs its head against her skull affectionately. Then a code screen dings and she giggles.

"Looks like I have to go home! Bye bye!"She says, opening a portal.

She walks through as the owl remains on her shoulder. I see her pet it before it shut. I grin wider, knowing that she will be protected now.

"Bye bye.....Shino..."I say softly

No POV

"Shino, what did you bring home?"Reaper asks

"His code says that his name is Knitty."Shino says

"Knitty?"

"Mhm. He's a nice owl and seemed to want to join me. His code said that he's determined to stay."

"A random owl...is saying this?"

"Yes, can I keep him? Raven and Goth got to keep spiders as pets so-"

"They what?"

Then there's a scream from Raven's room and they zip upstairs as the owl sits on the living room table. They find the spider making a web with a message spelled out: PAPA MISSES YOU.

"That's weird, right?"Raven says

"Papa sent us a message! That's awesome!"Shino says

The spider continues as they watch. Misses Death and home. Misses all. Wise bird protects all.

"The owl is from Papa too? Yay! I'll take good care of it!"Shino cheers

"Where is he and what has happened to him?"Raven asks

Papa is nowhere and is NO---BO---DY----. Cannot give real names. Look for cracked soul.

"Cracked soul...?"Shino mutters, opening a code screen.

She runs it through some code for matches and finds over a dozen, one being Er-Nolan. It shows a brief image of him walking through crowded streets with his soul highlighted.

 It shows a brief image of him walking through crowded streets with his soul highlighted

"Hey! That's the nice bunny with a spear I met! One of these hundreds could be Papa. We just have to find him."Shino says

"Why not just a shard? We know that's all Papa has."Raven asks

"Unless that's too obvious and his soul was forced to change. Who knows what was done to him."Goth says

The three grin widely. Reaper stares at the large screen displaying all the results, searching for a soul shard that matches his Glitchy's. But there were too many to look at...too many to know...The kids continue their search and take care of their new pets with big smiles. This is the first time in weeks that they've heard from Error.

And it won't be the last.

TBC