18: Workaholic Woman

Zevran

"Is it just me, or does Livia seem a bit different today?" Ma said while applying face powder to her face. We were currently on our way to our Mediterranean house, hindi ko naman planong matulog doon dahil may sarili akong penthouse. I'm just going to drop them off and then head back there.

"She looks fine to me, Ma."

"No." depensa niya. "Whenever I meet her gaze, I notice something weird that I can't quite pinpoint. Also, she looks very dry today."

I sighed and made a U-turn. I hadn't noticed any of the things Ma mentioned about Livia. "Maybe she's tired. Her schedules are tight these days."

Masasabi kong naging maganda ang takbo ng dinner namin kasama ang pamilya ni Livia. Napag-usapan at napag-desisyunan na magkakaroon ng prenuptial agreement, at sa linggo ay pupunta kami sa dagat ng Sipalay, Negros Occidental, dahil doon gaganapin ang prenup wedding namin.

It has been Livia's plan for a long time to introduce me to her parents. It just never happened because we were both too busy. I admit that I don't really believe what Mama said about Livia now; since she's not the type of woman who is melancholic and sulky. She's the opposite of that.

"Seems you like her now," mother said.

"Who?"

Mama frowned and lowered the hand mirror she was holding. "May iba pa bang babae bukod kay Livia, Zevran?" naroon na ang suspeksyon sa tinig niya. I straightened my back when I immediately thought of one woman. Her image suddenly flashed into my mind. Pagdating sa kaniya ay napaka-bilis talaga ng memorya ng utak ko.

"Of course not."

I felt relieved when I saw in the front view mirror that she seemed to believe me. Even though I haven't done anything inappropriate, I feel like I'm already committing a sin.

"Both of you have been together for a month now. Siguro naman ay pareho na kayo ng nararamdaman?"

My jaw clenched.

"Zevran?" she called me out.

"As long as she's happy." I paused. "Is that enough?"

She rolled her eyes. "Livia is a young woman. Beautiful, talented, and most importantly, famous. She will boost your reputation, even our reputation. Give her a chance."

I gripped the steering wheel tightly as I sighed. Our business is struggling, and we need to find a way to bring it back to normal. The sales and stocks keep dropping, and everyone is afraid it will lead to the company's dissolution. Mother loves the company and the hospital, that's why she came up with the idea of arranging me with some woman I've never even met. And that's Livia. When she started talking about her, I knew something was happening. Hindi lang talaga sumagi sa isipan ko na magpapakasal ako kay Livia. It was a twisted idea - the entire concept even. But I choose to be practical. Umayaw ako sa una dahil unang-una ay ayoko pang magkaroon ng asawa. At this big age of mine, I have to admit that I don't want to get married to anyone yet. I'm not at that point yet, so even if they say I'm already old and exactly at the age of thirty to get married, I don't.