23: Confession

Hastily, I navigated my vehicle down the wide and dimly illuminated avenue. Despite our considerable distance from the police station and my place of residence, I maintained my bearings. Dahil sa tingin ko ay mabuti na rin ito, 'yung tahimik at wala masyadong tao, para hindi agad ma-t-trace ang aking sasakyan kung nasaan man ako. I'm not concealing or engaging in any wrongdoings; I simply wish to safeguard and preserve my reputation from any potential criticisms that may arise upon discovery of my sister's fiancé accompanying me in this location and at this hour. Hindi pa naman biro ang mga isip ng mga tao ngayon, walang habas sila kung magsalita at mag-delusyon, surpassing even a writer and director when they create supposedly true stories from their incredibly creative imagination.

Mag-a-ala-una na ng madaling araw. I've received calls and texts from my parents, aunt, even the chairman contacted me, at siyempre hindi magpapahuli si Arden na nangingibabaw sa lahat ang messages. I simply informed them that I won't be staying at home tonight and that I'll meet them tomorrow morning because I have to attend to the paperwork concerning the late Maximus Viasco.

Ngunit ang totoo ay wala pa naman talaga akong nasisimulan. All of that paperwork is just piling up in my office, and that's what I should be doing right now, but here I am, with the man I shouldn't even be seeing anymore. Pinangako ko na sa sarili ko na ang huling pag-uusap namin ay 'yung nasa penthouse niya ako. But this doctor seems determined to make me obey. When he pleaded with me, I don't know why I didn't refuse. Maybe I'm just too kind-hearted.

"Go on, talk now." I urged him as I pulled over the car. The area was well-lit with numerous lampposts, preventing it from being too dark, and there were trees in the vicinity, though their outlines were obscured by the night.

Kinuha ni Zevran ang paper bags na dala-dala niya kanina. Since earlier, I had identified it as food because of the savory scent, and now that he unveiled it, my assumption was affirmed.

"Don't you want to eat first? You haven't had dinner yet."

I sighed and leaned back. "I can't eat when I'm with someone I don't want to be with. I can't eat with you, Mr. Morgan. I'd rather eat alone."

He made a tsk sound. Hindi ko siya nakikita ngunit naririnig ko ang tunog ng paper bags.

"You're really good at hurting other people's feelings," he commented, which made me turn to look at him. I didn't say anything; instead, I just stared at him. He was now putting the food back into the plastic bags. I looked into his blue eyes, expecting to see anger there, but all I saw was sadness. I bit my lower lip as I felt the guilt surging within me. Was I too harsh?

"I-I'm sorry."

Zevran glanced my way, his expression briefly betraying surprise before transforming into a gentle laugh. A chuckle befitting a man of wealth and charm.

"I'll only entertain your apology if you use my name again," he declared, a smirk forming on his naturally red lips.

"...and if you eat the dinner I cooked," he added.

Wala sa sarili akong napakagat sa ibabang-labi. So siya pala ang nagluto ng mga pagkaing dala niya ngayon? He knows how to cook then? Although I was surprised by the fact I discovered about him, I kept it from showing.