33: Tell me Something I Don't Know

I opened my eyes wide as the dogs suddenly barked outside, surely from the street. My hand shot up to reach for my phone lying on the side table.

With squinted eyes, I checked the time. 11:55 p.m. Ano't may gising pa ng ganitong oras? I involuntarily pressed the phone against my chest when I heard faint rustling outside my room. What the hell? Agad akong umalis sa kama, nanatiling nakapatay ang ilaw ng kuwarto ko. Standing in front of the door, I counted a few seconds. Damn. I hoped I was wrong.

I grasped the doorknob and twisted it. Pagkabukas ko ng pintuan ay natigilan ako at naibaba ko ang hawak kong pepper spray.

"Livia?" I called out, surprised, as she sat at the table, legs crossed. Nakasuot siya ng pantulog. Holding a glass of water, leaning on the table, staring at me intently. She was serious, with that peculiar look of hers again.

"Why are you still up?" I asked.

"Nagising ako." maikling sagot niya. As she spoke, I caught a familiar scent. Wait. Alak? "The dogs were noisy," she added, turning away from me to rinse the glass at the sink. "Ikaw, ate? How did you wake up?" she asked, still washing.

"Dahil rin sa.. aso."

"Pareho pala tayo." I saw her wipe the glass clean with a fresh towel. Then she turned to face me again. "Lagi na lang."

She returned to her spot where I saw her earlier.

I approached her to confirm my suspicion. "What time did you get home?"

She raised an eyebrow at me. "Why are you asking?"

When I smelled her breath, I definitely caught the scent of alcohol. I couldn't be mistaken. Amoy talaga ng alak!

"Uminom ka ba?"

"Kakakita mo lang sa 'kin na uminom---"

"Ng alak, Livia." paglilinaw ko.

She paused, biting her lower lip. But I didn't see surprise in her reaction.

Suddenly, she laughed and hugged me sideways. "Sorry ate, huhu, was I that obvious? Huwag mo ako isumbong kila dad, please, tinikman ko lang naman. Ang ingay kasi nung aso, 'eh! Uminom lang naman ako ng unti para pampatulog. I swear, konti lang, hihi."

I chuckled softly. "Ano ka ba, it's alright." I held her arm and faced her. Her chin rested on my chest. She's making that cute little face.

"It seems like the alcohol only had a slight effect on you," I chuckled as I said to her.

Sunod-sunod siyang tumango habang nakangiti pa rin. "Hindi naman kasi nga ako pala-inom di 'ba ate? I'm such a good girl---"

She stopped speaking when my phone rang, indicating a new message.

"I'll just check this."

Tumingin siya sa phone ko na hawak bago humiwalay sa pagkakayakap sa akin. "Sure."

I checked the message as I moved a bit away from her. I could see Livia looking at me from the corner of my eye.