Chapter 26: Logan's Birthday

~Jade's POV~
I walked down to the cancer hospital this morning, with Logan's birthday gifts in my hands. I found his room, and went right in. "Jade!" he said happily when he saw me. "Hi love, happy birthday." I said. "Thank you." he said. "You're welcome." I leaned in, and gave him a long, passionate kiss. "If that's birthday present number one, then I'd love to see what the other ones are." he smirked. "Haha, well here's one." I handed him the gift, and he slowly opened it. He had some other presents by his side, so I could tell some others were here before me. He opened it carefully, and it was a framed photo of us. "Aw, this is wonderful Jade. Thank you." he said. "You're welcome. Here's your other one." I handed him a card, and he opened it. He read it aloud, then looked at me. "Come sit by me." he patted the available side of his bed, and I sat by him. He held me close, and I rested my head on his chest. His breathing was very slow and shallow. "I love you so much." I buried my face in his chest. "I love you too." he kissed the top of my head. The doctor came in, and greeted us both. "Hi, Dr. Kris." he said. "How are you feeling?" she asked. "Like shit." he said. "Yeah, chemo will do that to you." she said. "I know, but it's my birthday." he said. "I know. I even got you a little something." she handed him a teddy bear, with a heart that said 'you're a fighter' on it. "Oh, that's cute. Heh, thank you." he said. "You're welcome. We give those to all the kids on their birthdays. We also give them a party and balloons, but you might be a little too old for that." she said. "Yeah, but I'm not too old for pizza." he smiled. "Sorry, can't help ya there." she shrugged. "Aw c'mon! You can't even grab me a little slice from the cafeteria?" he pressed. "No. That's for visitors only." she said. "Darn. Well, I tried." he laughed, and he went into another coughing fit. It seems like this happens every day. He's always having coughing fits, and it really worries me when he has them. "Here, drink some water." I gave him the water bottle, and he drank from it. He coughed a few more times. He breathed heavily, as if coughing just took all his energy. "I'm okay." he said, and he was shaking. "Logan... you're dying." I said. "N-no, I'm not." he shook his head. "Logan, look at you! You're so thin, and just coughing takes all of your energy. You've barely been sleeping, and I know it's because you're afraid you'll never wake up again." I said. "Jade, I'm gonna be strong... for you." he held my hand. "No, I'll be your strength. I've always been your rock during tough times, and I'm not gonna stop now." I squeezed his hand.