Practice Makes Perfect

Liam is seen on a winding country road on the outskirts of Montreal near Mount Royal. The sun is beginning to set, casting a warm orange glow over the landscape. Trees line the sides of the road, their branches swaying gently in the breeze. Liam sits behind the wheel of his sleek 2019 Veloster N coated in matte black. He grips the steering wheel tightly, his heart pounding with anticipation. Liam takes a deep breath and speaks to himself.

Liam: Faisons ça (lets do that), Liam. You got this. You do.

He presses down on the accelerator, the engine roaring to life as the car shoots forward. The tires squeal against the pavement as Liam navigates the twists and turns of the road with expert precision surprising himself. As Liam speeds down the deserted country road, every curve and bend feels like a dance. His instincts take over, guiding him effortlessly through the winding path ahead. Despite his lack of experience, there's an innate sense of confidence in his movements, as if he were born to race. The wind rushes through the open windows, whipping Liam's hair back as he leans into each turn. His concentration is unwavering, his focus solely on the road ahead.

Liam remains focused, his world slowing down around him as he approaches a sharp corner. As he approaches the sharp corner, Liam's foot presses down on the brake pedal, his body tensing as he prepares to execute a perfect drift. The car skids around the bend, tires squealing in protest before regaining traction on the asphalt. With each passing moment, Liam's confidence grows. He pushes the car to its limits, testing his own abilities with every twist and turn. Despite the risks, there's an undeniable thrill in the air, a sense of freedom that comes from racing against the clock. The sun dips below the horizon, casting long shadows across the road, Liam's determination only intensifies. He knows that every lap brings him one step closer to his dream of becoming a professional racer.

Liam (in his head): I can do this. I know I can.

With renewed determination, Liam accelerates into the final stretch, the finish line in sight. The engine roars as he pushes the car to its limit, crossing the imaginary finish line with a smile and a big exhale. As Liam brings the car to a stop, a sense of euphoria washes over him. Despite the challenges and obstacles that lie ahead, one thing is certain: he was born to race.

* * * * *
Liam returns home after his thrill seeking lap with a new sense of determination and happiness across his face. His parents notice this and are curious as to why as they look on and watch Liam go into his room. William, Liams father, senses that Liam had done something he's never done before. Being a slight car guy himself he knows the euphoric feeling racers get after a good lap, and his son's face has that written all over him. He gently knocks on the doorway as Liam is seen on his laptop looking at cars again.

William: Hey, what's up kiddo? You seem...happy...like way happy.

Liam smiles at his dad but decides not to tell him

Liam: Just, a happy day for me today. That's all.

William knows he's lying and smirks.

William: Come on Liam. I know the face of an accomplished racer when I see one. You've got it written all over you bud hehe.

Liam looks at William with a shocked look. How did he know? He knew his dad was a small time car guy who didn't know nearly as much as Liam. How could he tell?

Liam: Okay, can I trust you?

William: Course buddy. What's up?

Liam: You promise not to get mad at me? I know mom would.

William: I only get mad with you if you really get me angry, Liam, you know that.

Liam takes a deep breath.

Liam: Okay, so, let's just say...after work I had a little free time to spare...

William smiles, knowing what Liam is hinting at but teasing him.

William: Mhmm...

Liam: And I might've had a little fun...

William chuckles

William: Spit it out, will ya?

Liam chuckles

Liam: Okay. Okay. I took my car for a drive down the country roads by Mount Royal and...I might've sped a lot...like a lot. But! I had a mini race with myself and....did really, really good. It's almost too good to be true.

William raises his eyebrow

William: Huh, really? So you're crazy serious about this racing dream?

Liam: Absolutely.

William: Well, I can see why you wouldn't tell your mom. However, I can't be impressed until I know everything. What road was it?

Liam thinks and tries to remember which road he raced on.

Liam: Um, I think it was...Voie Camillien Houde.

William looks shocked and surprised.

William: Huh, how fast did you make it to Chem Remembrance?

Liam smirks

Liam: 1 minute and 45 seconds

William gasps

William: Holy...jeez. You were flying. I won't say I'm not mad at you for it I am. But, I'm also damn well impressed, Liam. That's a tough road, and making it through in only a minute and 45 seconds is. Amazing. So I will say I'm also kind of proud of you. Heh, maybe you do have what it takes.

Liam smiles

Liam: Thanks, dad. I know mom would yell at me and be more disappointed than proud.

William chuckles

William: Yeah, she would. But, don't take my proudness for leniency. I don't want you to do that again ever. But I appreciate you being honest so I won't punish you for it. But, jeez, Liam, that's really impressive. I'm kind of blown away. Anyways, just don't let it happen again, alright. Unless, you tell me and only me. Understand?

Liam smiles. He seems to have really made his dad happy.

Liam: Promise.

William: Good, now get ready for dinner soon. Okay. And... good job.

William walks away and mumbles to himself

William (to himself): Holy shi-