Run The Lap

Liam is seen by the starting line leaning on a guardrail that overlooks the skyline of downtown Montreal. Liam's nerves are firing off left and right as he breathes in deep, trying to prepare for his lap. He doesn't really understand why he said yes to the lap. He knows, however, that something inside of him needs this lap. It's his real shot at the street scene and to really wow the spectators. As he contemplates, Hope is seen approaching him.

Hope: You good, bud?

Liam is taken by surprise by Hope's presence but smiles as he looks at her.

Liam: Whoa. Hehe, hey, Hope. Yeah, I'm hanging in there. I'm just really nervous.

Hope: Ne vous inquiétez pas (don't worry). Hehe, you got this, I was nervous my first time running the lap. Believe me, I had nerves shooting like crazy, nearly felt like a warzone was happening inside me, hehe. There were SO many rampant thoughts and worries, but I pushed through, and the reward was absolutely stunning. I tell you, it's a different world you see when it all becomes a blur, and it's just you and the car zooming down as the engine sings to you. Oh, it's just bliss, honestly.

Liam smiles at Hope.

Liam: Well, I will say I did feel that when I was practicing.

Hope: vraiment (really)? Huh, that's a good sign, honestly, but let's just say, the feeling you'll get out there is double what you felt at practice. So, go get em cowboy! Hehe, that was so corny.

Liam: I kind of liked it.

Hope smiles at Liam and teases him slightly by grabbing his face and turning it to his Veloster N.

Hope: Now, show em what you got.

Liam looks back at Hope for a second blushing but puts on a game face as he walks towards his car.

* * * * *

The scene opens with a shot of Liam standing nervously next to his Veloster N in the dimly lit parking lot at the starting line. He glances around at the group of street racing enthusiasts who have gathered to watch him take on the country roads of Mount Royal. The air is filled with anticipation and nervousness as Liam closes his eyes for a moment.

Liam (to himself, taking a deep breath): D'accord (all right), you can do this.

He slides into the driver's seat of his Veloster N, the seating's dim light reflecting off his clothes. Liam places his hands on the steering wheel, the feeling of the rich leather rushing through his hands, and revs the engine. The engine roars and pops with aggressiveness. The headlights pierce through the darkness as he pulls out of the lot and onto the winding country road and stops at the starting line the car growling in impatience with anticipation and readiness filling the air as well. The group of onlookers, including Hope and Barrett, look anxiously. Hope comes from the crowd and holds a flag, and raises it up. Before she throws it down, she gives Liam a passionate smile and stares right into his focused eyes. Liam carefully revs his engine, and the dial sticks at 2,000 RPM waiting to be released. Hope throws down the flag with her hands, the wind of it whipping the air. Liam immediately releases the brake and the car lurches off the starting line with a loud whine and tire screech of joy as it's RPM's increase and every shift calls a backfire making it sound like a warzone. As Liam navigates the first few turns, his heart pounds in his chest the thumping sound nearly overlapping the roar of the engine, the adrenaline coursing through his veins turning him into some type of predator and the road is the prey. The road is a ribbon of asphalt, twisting and turning through the dense forest, and the scent of pine fills the car as he accelerates, the engine roaring and whirring and fluttering with every shift in response. Liam's hands grip the steering wheel of the car tighter than ever before, his focus laser-sharp like never before as he takes each curve with precision and slingshots around each and every apex with ease. The beams of the headlights dance over the trees the shadows dancing with joy at the pure show Liam is putting on, casting eerie shadows that flicker across the road taking the form of monsters that serve their master. The group of spectators watches in awe as the car hugs the bends, the tires screeching against the pavement. Barrett smiles big. The Veloster N surges forward with pure anger and power, the rush of wind and the hum of the engine merging into a delicate yet fearsome symphony of speed. The night air is electric with the thrill of the moment Liam's nerves electrifying his entire body, but not in a bad way, Liam's every sense becomes heightened as he hurtles through the darkness like an Olympic sprinter but for the road. As the road straightens out, Liam sees the city lights twinkling in the distance, their aura reflecting a new destiny for Liam but remaining a stark contrast to the wild, untamed landscape he's been navigating. The Veloster N continues and surges ahead, nearing the end but not wanting it, the engine roaring like a beast unleashed and off chains. Liam feels a surge of triumph and freedom unlike anything he's ever experienced, and he knows it is destined to stay with him. The road stretches out before him just like the beginning of his adventure he has just taken part in, but also a ribbon of possibility, and for the first time, Liam truly understands the allure of the street racing scene, and he loves it. As he brings the Veloster N to a stop back at the starting line, his hands tremble with exhilaration, and a ripple of applause erupts from the onlookers. Barrett keeps his big smile and speaks to himself.

Barrett: Damn good kid. Damn good.

Stepping out of his car , Liam's eyes shine with a newfound confidence and his smile becoming massive with a sense of purpose burning within him. The trial run has transformed him, igniting a passion that will propel him into the heart of Montreal's street racing world and one he will never leave.