Chapter 1

Hey, readers. So this story is a little bit out of my comfort zone, but I wanted to give it a shot because why not? Plus I've been having dreams, so I just had to turn them into something. Please be kind with comments, and if you ever wish to correct me, do it gently. I will be putting my own twist on some things, because that's what a fanfiction is for, yes? Also, my main character is 18, of legal age. Okay, happy reading! :) -Hannah

"Scarlet, get down here this instant!"

I cringed at the demand, sighing as I closed my knapsack. I grabbed my wand, sticking it in my bag, so just the tip of it was sticking out, for easy access. I looked around my room, trying to engrave it into my memory.

My name is Scarlet Kingsley, about to start my seventh year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. I have black wavy hair, golden brown eyes, and full lips. I'm a Slytherin, and I'm currently about to run away from home. I checked my knapsack one last time. Wand--check. Hogwarts trunk, shrunk to fit--check.

"SCARLET LILA KINGSLEY, GET DOWN HERE THIS BLOODY INSTANT, OR I SWEAR YOU WILL BE SORRY!"

My heart started to pound, so swinging my sack onto my shoulder, I raced to my bedroom window. I opened it, peering down. It was maybe three feet to the ground. I took a deep breath, and jumped. Landing on my feet, I ran as fast as possible through the streets of London until I reached King's Cross Station. I speed-walked through the crowds, until I reached my destination: between Platforms Nine & Ten. I scanned the area around me, before stepping through the wall, coming out on the other side, onto Platform Nine & Three Quarters. I sighed; I was safe for now. Wizard or not, he couldn't get to me once I stepped on board the Hogwarts Express. I scrambled onto the train, just in the nick of time, and luckily there was one empty compartment. I laid my head back against the seat, and closed my eyes, letting out a relieved breath.

*******

I adjusted my tie, and took a breath in, then out. I followed the clusters of students into the Great Hall.

"SCARLET!"

I jumped at the volume of my best friend's screech. I chuckled, and hugged Emaly tightly.

"Hell, Emmy, I missed you!" I exclaimed. Emaly and I had been best friends since second year. She was the only one who knew everything going on in my life, and I do mean everything.

"Come, let's sit!" I followed her to our usual spots at the Slytherin table. I rolled my eyes at Draco Malfoy's flirtacious smile as I sat down. You would think me telling him to shove off every single year would dissuade him, but unfortunately, I'm not that lucky.

After Headmaster Dumbledore gave his yearly speech, while also being interrupted by a pink toad woman, the feast began. I ate as much as possible.

Emaly laughed at me, pretending to be embarrassed. "Damn, Scar, you would think you hadn't eaten all summer!" My stomach twisted at her comment, but I forced a returning laugh. After another minute, I stood up.

"Well, I'm going to go unpack, see you at our room, Em?"

She nodded, a mouth full of food. I held back a smirk, and made my way out of the Great Hall. I ran my hand through my black wavy locks. I downcast my eyes, as I started to walk, letting out a sigh. Out of nowhere, I hit a wall. No, not a wall, it's a human.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I was distracted--" I spoke quickly, my eyes casting up to see who I had bumped into absentmindedly. Professor Snape glared at me, as per usual.

"I'm sorry sir." I managed to get out without stuttering. Of course I would bump into this cold, expressionless man. Figures.

"Perhaps you should pay more attention." He answered, his deep, silk, voice echoing throughout the empty corridor, sending a shiver up my spine. I nodded in understanding, unable to form a response. I continued walking past him, to continue on to my destination. As I did, I could feel his eyes on me.

*****