Chapter 10

(A.N. Scarlet will do a lot of thinking in this chapter, you know, classic teenage girl things. Oh, and there will be a surprise at the end. Please please let me know what you think about it. And please vote as well (: )

Scarlet's POV

I cried myself to sleep that night. Yes, maybe I was being overdramatic, but I never expected the source of my pain to be the source that had also been my happiness. This whole experience had been different for me, and I thought I was different to him. Like always, I was wrong.

I rubbed my eyes, which were raw and red from crying for hours, and got out of bed. I checked the time, and noticed I had missed Potions, along with my other classes. 'Good' I thought, he doesn't deserve my presence.'

I sighed, looking at myself in the mirror. I was a wreck. Well, at least my outside matched my insides. I don't even understand why this would be affecting me so horribly; I realized something then: was I in love with Severus Snape? I chuckled, shaking my head at myself in disbelief. That's utterly insane. Yes, I've known him since my first year, but he was just my teacher then and the years after. What's changed now?

'He showed some sort of caring for you, that's what's changed' my subconscious told me. I groaned in frustration. But so what?

'You haven't had that for years' I thought again. That's true as well. Maybe I was just so focused on keeping my emotions inside, that I never focused on much of anything else. And it's not like Severus is unattractive. To me, he was intriguing, a mystery to be uncovered. I believed he wasn't what he perceived to others, that everything was just a façade. We were so similar it was crazy to me. Maybe that's why I was in love with--wait, stop.

'Oh who are you kidding?' I told myself. 'Just face it. You're in love with him.'

I sighed hopelessly. Unfortunately, the one time I actually fall in love, the guy is both uninterested, and unattainable.

Ripping myself from my thoughts for the time being, I stripped my pajamas off, and stepped into the shower. I washed my hair, and lathered my body. After I decided I'd done enough to get by, I got out, and looked at myself in the mirror. My eyes still looked the same.

I dried my hair and body off, and walked back into my room, wrapped in a towel. Emaly wasn't here, so I was assuming she was either at dinner or with another friend. That was fine by me. She probably wouldn't understand my dilemma anyway.

I plopped down on my bed, staring at my clothes. I was hungry, I'd missed breakfast and lunch because I had been wallowing in self-pity. I sighed again, removed the towel, and threw on some non-uniform clothes. And by this, I meant pajama pants, and a white t-shirt. It was only dinner, after all. I grabbed my wand, and stuck it into my slipper boots I had put on. I threw my hair into a messy ponytail before exiting.

******

I walked quietly into the Great Hall, and noticed there weren't many students still there, but the food and teachers still were. My heart twinged at the thought of him, and I forced myself not to look up at the staff table. I sat down in my usual seat, and Emaly gave me a sad smile. She had probably heard me crying last night, but she didn't know what it was about.

"Scar, are you alright?" she asked, putting an arm around my shoulders.

I nodded. "Yep."

Emmy bit her lip, letting out a breath. The good thing about her was that she wouldn't push me to tell her anything until I was ready. For that right now, I was thankful.

I started grabbing some food to put on my plate, and seconds later, I was eating. Everything was like heaven to my stomach after being so hungry. I ate quickly, focusing on my food, minding my business. However, of course because I have the worst luck ever, I didn't go unnoticed.

"Good evening, Scarlet. What a surprise, you actually look like rubbish. What happened to you? Did someone actually reject you, so now you know how it feels? Aw, poor little Kingsley." Draco taunted, eliciting a laugh from his dumb little posse, who I don't even care about to remember their names.

I took a deep breath to hold back my tears, my anger bubbling, and narrowed my eyes at Draco.

"What part of leave me be don't you understand, Malfoy?"

Draco laughed, smirking. "Obviously the leave you be part. Come on, Scar, now's the perfect time. You know you want me." His voice rose a little, causing the few people around us at the tables to pay attention.

I was downright shaking with anger now, and in an instant, I was up, and my wand was pointed at his chest. I grit my teeth, and looked Draco straight in the eye. "LEAVE ME BE!" I yelled. I broke my eyes away, to see that everyone was staring at me now, including the professors, even Severus. Our gaze met for a split second, but then I tore my eyes away.

I took a breath, and withdrew my wand from Draco's chest. He wasn't worth detention, or worse, expulsion.

"You'll regret that, Scarlet." Draco managed to say, despite the obvious fear in his eyes. I guess he didn't take too kindly to being threatened.

I glared at him one last time, before running out the Great Hall.

(Snape's POV)

After Miss Kingsley left, I sat there stunned. I had never seen her have an outburst like that, and I was worried. And when I met her gaze for that split moment, I noticed that her eyes were all red, as if she had been crying for endless hours. Over me? But that was preposterous. Why would she cry over someone like me? As much as I tried, her face wouldn't leave my mind. I could deny it all I wanted, but I knew what was true: I was in love with Scarlet Kingsley. I have no idea as to when it had begun, but I knew I had to do something about it.

******

(Back to Scarlet's POV)

Later that night, I was waiting for the sound of Emaly's snoring so I could sneak out. Within seconds, I heard it, and quietly slipped out of bed. I grabbed my wand, and without making any noise, made my way out of our bedroom, and out of the common room. I scanned the dark corridor to make sure there was no one awake, and I took off in a half-sprint until I was outside. I took a deep breath in, then out. I continued walking as silently as I could, until I reached the familiar terrain of the Black Lake. I plopped down by my favorite tree, leaning my back against it. Usually in a situation like this, I would have my bottle of firewhiskey safely next to me, so I could be numb. But for some reason, however, I wanted to feel it all. The pain, the pity.

I closed my eyes, taking in a breath, and let it out, as the tears fell silently down my face. A minute later, I heard rustling from behind where I was sitting, and I jumped up, wand at the ready.

A familiar black-clad figure stepped out of the shadows, and held up their hands in surrender. I took in a shaky breath, as I lowered my wand.

"Go away." I stuttered at Severus, feeling nervous, and upset still.

We stared at each other, and I saw pity in his eyes.

"I don't need your pity, okay?! You obviously want nothing to do with me. I shouldn't have been so stupid. You're not capable of feeling, of showing emotion. I don't even know why I opened up to you, I just got hurt in the end!"

"Scarlet--"

"NO! There's no excuse. I have been nothing but relatively kind to you. All I wanted was to be your friend, or something more. I can't explain my feelings that I have towards you, because I've never had them before, but this is different, and I'm scared, and I don't know what to do, I don't want to play games any--"

I shut up then. Because Severus had strode down the hill in two large steps, grabbed me in his arms, and captured my lips with his own.

*****

(Another A.N. // this was the longest chapter so far, and I'm very proud of it. Once again, let me know what you thought of this surprise, if it was too soon or something. I hope you didn't think so. Comment your thoughts, vote as well! -Hannah xx )