Chapter 23

Sev's eyes showed panic, but his facial expression remained calm. My heart was pounding out of my chest, and I stepped out of his bed, and used my wand to dress myself.

I turned to him. "What do we do?!" I whispered.

He got out of the bed, and stood in front of me, hands on my shoulders firmly. "Stay here."

I nodded nervously, watching him dress, then exit, shutting the door as he did.

I sat down on the bed as I heard Severus welcome Dumbledore inside, and their voices carry through his quarters. I couldn't make out what they were saying, so I placed my ear against the door, trying to hear better.

A beat of silence.

"Miss Kingsley, you can come out, my dear." I heard Dumbledore say.

My mouth dropped open in disbelief. I hesitated, but I knew I couldn't keep the headmaster waiting. We had been caught. It still surprises me how he seems to know everything that goes on in the castle without having to be present to witness it.

I slowly creaked open the bedroom door, and nervously stepped out. I snuck a glance at Snape, and his eyes seemed to radiate shock and disbelief, while still keeping to his cold expression. I admired his skill to be able to do that, considering my face definitely looked like I had just been caught with my hand in the cookie jar, so to speak.

"Headmaster." I managed to choke out, forcing a tight smile.

Dumbledore looked at me knowingly, and my heart was in my throat. This was it. We were done for. I could see expulsion on the horizon. He knew what had been going on here, he is definitely not stupid. It felt like a millennium before he spoke again, and I noticed Sev hadn't said a word since I entered the room.

"There is no need for worry, Miss Kingsley. One cannot help their feelings. I do urge you both to be cautious. As you know, the Ministry has infiltrated Hogwarts. You are quite lucky it was I who was outside the door, and not someone else entirely." he stated.

I nodded, in understanding. If it had been Umbridge, the consequences would have been intensely more severe.

I took in a breath, as I waited for what would happen next.

The headmaster turned to Severus, whose mouth was slightly open in confusion and disbelief at his approving words.

"We shall continue this later, Severus. Just tell me, has your arm been burning lately?" Dumbledore wondered, seeming to forget I was in the room.

Sev pointedly glanced at me, and nodded. "Yes. You know it has since last year, Albus."

Dumbledore nodded, and made to take his leave. "Well, I must be on my way. Have a good night, Severus. Miss Kingsley."

I stood there, confused, as he strode out of the door.

After a moment of somewhat awkward silence, I turned to face Snape, eyebrow raised.

"Wow...well, that was interesting. That's good for us, right?" I questioned.

Sev didn't answer.

I chuckled. "Alright then."

I turned to leave, gripping my wand in my hand, figuring our night was over. I didn't really know what to think.

"Scarlet."

I turned around hesitantly to face the man I love.

"Sit down. Please."

I obeyed, and clutched his hand as he sat down next to me.

I gently met his eyes. "What aren't you telling me?"

Severus looked up at me, and strange emotions were swirling in his eyes.

"You promised earlier in the year that anything I was to tell you, wouldn't change your feelings for me. Do you still hold yourself to that, my love?"

The question caught me off-guard, but I instantly nodded.

"There are some things I feel I must tell you, considering the level our relationship has reached now."

I sat there in anticipation, as Severus took in a breath.

He rolled up his left sleeve, and my eyes widened.

That's what I had seen when we were in bed, but my head was so hazy with lust that it didn't matter at that time. I wasn't focusing on it. Questions did take over my mind, but I pushed them away. However, looking at it now, in a proper state of mind, I realized what it actually was, and I knew I wasn't mistaken.

The Dark Mark.

"Sev, you're a DeathEater??"

*******

A/N: I don't know how I feel about this chapter. You guys like?

-Hannah