Chapter 28

One month later, Scarlet's POV

Severus and I haven't been intimate for a month. I've been nervous about the letter I got. He's noticed that I've been a bit distant, and he's made effort to talk to me, but I've just kept it professional. Yeah, yeah, I'm being a bitch. But, I'm worried about exposing our relationship any further, because obviously we didn't do a good enough job of hiding it in the first place. I mean, if someone knows, even while we were being that discreet, then I can't risk Sev losing his job over me.

I  must admit, I'm a little bit lonely. He doesn't leave my mind. It's like a continuous movie roll of our memories. I miss him so bad, it's driving me crazy.

I need to figure out who knows about us, and I need to find a way to shut them up.

"Miss Kingsley!" My head snapped up, my reverie broken.

"Yes sir?" I spoke out, surprised I could control my voice from shaking.

"Pay attention!" Severus reprimanded, and I nodded in understanding.

His eyes seemed to fill with sorrow for a second, and then the look was gone. My heart pained for him. I knew it was torturing him that I was being distant, but I was doing it for a reason.

"Class dismissed." he growled, and I realized how much time had passed. I stacked my books, and shoved them in my bag. I stood up, and followed the rest of the class to the door. I was at the back of the cluster, and as soon as the student in front of me left the classroom, the door slammed shut.

I let out a frustrated breath. 'Of course.'

There was an obvious awkward silence, and I turned around to face Sev, who was sitting in his desk chair, arms crossed, eyes on me. As per usual, I couldn't read his mind.

"I have another class." I stated.

Snape rose an eyebrow, "Do you expect me to believe that you care about school?"

I bit my lip to hold back a smile. "Okay, you caught me."

Noticing I was standing, I quickly sat down in the closest desk.

I couldn't resist anymore.

"I miss you." I blurted out.

Severus smirked slightly. "Is that so?"

I rolled my eyes playfully in response.

There was a small beat of silence before he spoke again, and I shivered at his voice, cursing myself for letting things go this long.

"I miss you as well, Scarlet."

I smiled, getting up from my chair, and circled around his desk, to stand in front of him. I let out a breath.

"Thank Merlin. But Sev, there's a reason I was being distant. Someone knows. About us." I said, cutting straight to the point.

He just looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

I was confused at his reaction.

"Um, Severus??? Did you hear what I just said?" I asked.

He nodded. "Obviously. However, my question would be how you came across such information.?"

I sighed. "An unfamiliar owl brought me a note, and it read "I know your secret.". It was unsigned."

Sev pinched the bridge of his nose, seeming distressed now, which was how he should have reacted before. I bit back a laugh.

"So what do we do?" I ask when he doesn't speak.

He looks back up at me, a hint of sadness in his eyes. "It pains me to say this, but until we find who knows, and distinguish if they're a threat to our relationship, we must put our feelings on hold."

My jaw dropped slightly, and tears filled my eyes.

But not of just sadness. Of anger as well.

"This is bloody insane! I don't want to do that! I don't think I can." I admitted, wiping a single tear off my cheek.

Severus stood up, and gripped my shoulders gently, his thumb wiping away my fallen tears.

"Do you not think this will be painful for me as well? I cannot bear the thought of being away from you, but we must do this. I won't allow us to be torn apart by some imbecile, but I refuse to allow you to suffer because you're with me."

I chuckled, "Oh please, I can handle a little so-called suffering."

Severus smiled genuinely, "We will find this person. My plans to be with you will not be tarnished, but for the time being, we cannot give them anymore ammo to use against us. However, I do love you, Scarlet Kingsley. I'm sure of that."

I smiled up at him, and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. Automatically, his arms wrapped around my waist, and I felt him kiss my forehead, which I loved.

Because of him, I felt like things would turn out alright.

*******

After the conversation with Severus, my worries were somewhat eased, but I was melancholy. I didn't know how long this "separation" between us would last, but I hoped it wouldn't be long. Especially considering the fact that I was graduating in another month.

The other emotion I was feeling right now: anger.

I was angry that someone had this power over Sev and I's relationship. I felt unlike myself because I was allowing this to happen. What happened to strong, tough as nails Scarlet, who didn't back down or let anything knock her away from what she wants?

She was still inside me. And I was going to do something about all of this, for sure. I just wasn't certain what.

As ideas and thoughts swirled through my mind, I noticed that I had somehow traveled outside the doors of the school, and I stopped walking. Before I could turn around though, I noticed something flying towards me.

An owl?

As it flew closer, I realized something: it was the same owl from before. The one who had brought me the mysterious note a month ago. My brows furrowed in confusion.

This time, the owl didn't even stop flying, and as I looked up, another piece of parchment dropped from its talon, and fell onto the partially wet grass.

I picked it up quickly, my heart racing.

I unrolled it, and my eyes scanned over the message:

If you don't want your little secret exposed, I suggest you be in the Great Hall corridor after curfew tonight. Be there, or I ruin you.

I scoffed, crumpling the note up. However, I knew I had to follow it. It was essential to find out who was behind this, and somehow, stop them before they started.

I was ready for anything.

*******

A/N: let me know what you think. I'm like 99% sure where this is going, and I feel like its pretty good. So, comment, vote! :) -Hannah