Chapter 36

Scarlet's POV

It felt like time had stopped. I didn't know what to say; I was thoroughly speechless.

"Sev, I'm nineteen. Are you sure you want to be with me for the rest of your life?" I finally managed to ask.

There was no doubt in my mind that I was in love with Severus. I just didn't want him to fall out of love with me, and regret this.

Severus gripped my chin gently. "I have never been more sure of anything in my entire existence."

I felt happy tears filling my eyes. "When you say that, how can I refuse?"

The corners of Sev's mouth turned up. "Is that a yes, my love?"

I nodded, and held out my hand. I smiled as he slid the ring on my finger.

I admired it, before speaking again. "On one condition: we wait until the end of the year to do so, after my twentieth birthday passes. I am still young, you know." I smirked playfully.

He observed me for a minute, before placing a kiss on my lips. "Obliged."

I laid my head back down on his chest and closed my eyes.

"We better go to sleep. We have to be up early." I said sleepily.

I didn't hear Sev's reply because I did just that.

*******

The next morning

I let out a breath that I didn't know I'd been holding as I got dressed for breakfast. I flattened out my dress with my hands, gazing at my reflection. My eyes landed on the ring. I smiled to myself at the events that had taken place; I was his fiancée. Imagine that.

I felt hands place my velvet robe on my shoulders, and fasten the clasp. I smiled at Sev through the mirror as he stood behind me. He just stared at me for a moment before speaking.

"How you've grown..I remember when you were a measly brat of a first year. At that time, I just considered you another student, meant to be a Slytherin. Look how things have changed."

I chuckled in response. "I considered you a horrible bastard of a professor and an even worse head of house, so the feeling was mutual. Now I wonder if all the bad feelings were just a disguise for my true ones."

Amusement glinted in his eyes at my statement, and he turned me around swiftly to face him.

"Your feelings are understandable. I haven't always been the most pleasant to you, and for that, I apologize."

I scoffed in a teasing manner. "Everything was forgiven as soon as you kissed me by the Black Lake for the first time."

Severus smirked attractively. "The ring fits you well." he observed.

I nodded. "It's perfect, as are you."

His arms wound around me, pulling me in for a hug.

When we pulled back, he looked into my eyes.

"It's time we get to the Great Hall."

*******

I looked out over the students as Dumbledore was speaking.

My eyes scanned from Harry to Draco. Draco met my gaze, his expression unreadable. I had a feeling he knew about everything. I was sure his mother had told him.

However, I refocused on paying attention to Dumbledore's speech, just in time.

"Please join me in welcoming former student, Scarlet Kingsley, back to Hogwarts. She will be assisting Professor Snape in his teachings."

I stood up, and bowed quickly, as the students applauded their welcome.

As I sat back down, I let out a breath, as Sev gripped my hand in support. He knew I didn't like the attention.

"You did well." he leaned over and whispered as the feast began.

I nodded, sighing in relief.

I started to pile my plate with food, and as I picked up my fork to begin eating, my eyes froze on something.

More like someone. I dropped my fork.

I stood up so as not to draw attention to myself, and turned to Severus.

"Do you mind if I retire back to our quarters? I'm not hungry."

Sev's brows furrowed in confusion. "Would you like me to come with you?"

I shook my head, forcing a smile. "I'll be fine. You eat."

With that, I walked down the steps from the high table, and out of a back door.

I took breaths in and out as I walked.

I ran a hand through my hair as I tried to calm down.

I hadn't seen him since my kidnapping, but he was there, sitting among the Slytherins, like he was a student. Was he?!

My mind was running rampant....why the hell was my brother here??!

******

A/N: I know it's short, but I wanted to put something up. I don't know when I'll update next. I guess, comment, vote. :)-Hannah