Chapter 42

(The picture of the necklace above is a general look of Scar's gift from Sev.)

Scarlet's POV
I just stared at Severus in shock.
I didn't realize it had been for more than a minute until his voice broke me out of it.
"Scarlet? Say something."
I broke my eyes away from his, and took in a breath.
"You're serious?" I managed to choke out, amidst my shock and disbelief.
Severus nodded, a sullen expression lacing his face.
"I had no choice. I made an Unbreakable Vow to protect Draco Malfoy."
My brows furrowed. "But why?"
Sev sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose, as I stood up from him, and looked down.
"It's complicated." He muttered, meeting my gaze.
I crossed my arms, and rose an eyebrow. "Make it simple."
My fiancée placed his head in his hands for a moment, and I'd never seen him look so broken than at this moment.
"I am quite friendly with the Malfoys, and Narcissa asked me to protect her son. I was hesitant, but I was not to be made a coward, so I made the Unbreakable Vow to carry out Draco's assignment given to him by the Dark Lord if he was to fail at it."
I was silent for a second, processing information.
"So, Draco's assignment is to kill our ex headmaster??? Why didn't I know of this? I'm a DeathEater spy now." I replied.
Sev sighed heavily. "It occurred before you became one."
I nodded, understanding.
"Wait--" I held up a hand. "Does Dumbledore know of this?"
He nodded, forlornly. "Albus was the one who insisted that I must be the one to kill him. The Vow was just a necessary precaution, one that I wish I had never done."
I sighed, sitting next to him, gripping his hand softly. "Why don't you just break the vow?"
"Scarlet, Unbreakable means as such. It can't be broken..if it is, I will die." Severus explained, running a hand through his hair.
I sighed, frustrated. I could feel angry tears filling my eyes.
Silence filled the room, but it didn't last long.
"THIS ISN'T FAIR!!" I yelled, my emotions getting the best of me. I stood up abruptly.
"You don't deserve any of this. Why does the weight of everything horrible fall onto your shoulders?! I can't stand seeing you like this. There must be something that can be done."
I swiped away an angry tear, and continued to pace Sev and I's shared living quarters.
I stopped when I felt hands on my shoulders.
I was turned around to face my soulmate.
Sev's hand gently caressed my cheek, and I could faintly see tears glimmering in his own eyes.
"There's nothing we can do, Scarlet, believe me, I've searched. All we can do now is go through it together, as we have everything else. Your care for me is unbelievable, and I am the luckiest man in the world to have you by my side." Severus whispered, pecking my lips quickly.
I sighed, while savoring the feel of his lips on mine.
"I just wish I could take your pain away, Severus." I muttered, looking up into his onyx colored eyes.
His eyes searched my face, and a small, albeit sad, smile graced his beautiful lips.
"You already have, my love."
I bit my lip. "How so?"
Sev's eyes changed, and all I could see was endless love.
"You've loved me no matter what."
******
A few weeks later
Scarlet's POV

The mood was sullen. It could be sensed that something dark was coming. I was nervous for what was ahead.
Nevertheless, currently, I was laying in bed, looking up at the ceiling.
It was my 20th birthday today, and I was far from pleased. The only thing that was keeping me sane was knowing that now I was one step closer to marrying Severus. The end of the year was quickly approaching, and so was Albus Dumbledore's death. I only hoped my fiancée and I could still get married at the end of all of this. I hoped our love was strong enough to push through.
I threw my legs off the bed, and got up, walking into the bathroom to shower.
About twenty minutes later, I walked out, and into the sitting room.
Sev had said he had tests to grade, so that was currently where he was.
I briefly wondered if he had forgotten my birthday.
Shaking my head out of negative thoughts, I threw on some clothes, grabbed my wand, and made my way down to Emaly's guest room. Today was her last day staying at Hogwarts, because she wanted to be here for my birthday, which was incredibly sweet of her.
I recited my last name with a smirk, and walked inside.
I didn't see her at first but suddenly she jumped out in front of me.
"Happy Birthday!" She exclaimed, while I held a hand to my chest, trying to calm my racing heart.
I chuckled, "Thanks for the heart attack. Do you want me to live until 21 years old?" I questioned playfully.
Em rolled her eyes, and held out a gift bag.
"For you, doll face. Go on, open it."
I rolled my eyes back, and sat down on the nearest couch, while Em sat across from me.
I pulled the gift paper apart, and tossed it aside. The first item I pulled out was a picture frame, with an obviously moving photo of Emaly and I. It was one of the first that we'd taken: we were sitting under a tree, playing our favorite hand game, Concentration, while giggling the whole time. I smiled in memory of that day.
"Thanks Em." I whispered.
I looked back in the bag, and pulled out a small lingerie set. I blushed at the insinuation.
"For the bedroom, Scar." Emaly smirked, and I rolled my eyes playfully.
I gently put the set on top of the frame, and located the last present.
My mouth dropped open and silent tears filled my eyes.
It was my mother's ring.
I looked up at Emaly in disbelief.
"How--" I couldn't even finish my sentence.
"I went back to your house, Scar. I found it in your mother's room. I figured she would have wanted you to have it." Her eyes started to tear up as well.
In an instant, I stepped over the table between us and hugged my best friend tightly.
No words were needed, so we just hugged.
*******
A few hours later
I held the gift bag tightly in my hand as I made my way back down to our living quarters. Severus was probably still grading papers, which bummed me out, but he had a job to do.
I whispered the password, and stepped inside.
The living room was lit with candles, and champagne and chocolate covered strawberries were in abundance on the table. I stepped forward, and that's when I noticed it.
A trail of roses.
Leading to the bedroom.
I smirked, and followed it.
I slowly opened the bedroom door, and saw my love sitting on the bed, clutching something in his hands. I gently set the bag containing Em's gifts on the table next to the door. I could have ravished him right then, but I controlled my emotions, and sat down next to him.
"It's beautiful, Sev. I thought you forgot." I whispered, smiling.
The look he gave me right then made my heart melt.
"How could I forget?" He whispered back, in the sweetest way I'd ever heard.
A beat of silence.
"This is for you." Sev explained, holding it out for me to grab.
I grasped it, and lifted the lid. I picked up the locket gently, as tears started to fill my eyes.
It was diamond-encrusted, and a snake wrapped around the front, in the shape of an 'S'. The diamonds were silver and green colored.
"Open it."
I looked up at Sev for a second, and then did so.
There was an inscription on the inside:
'Always.
-S. Snape'
I couldn't hold them back anymore. The tears flowed silently, and I looked up at my fiancée as they fell.
"Fasten it on for me?" I asked quietly.
Sev gently took the locket from my shaking hand, and with a soft touch, placed it around my neck, clipping it together, but not before kissing my neck.
"I love you, Scarlet. Always." He whispered in my ear.
I shivered at his fingers on my skin.
I turned back around, meeting his gaze.
"Thank you."
With no hesitation, Sev had captured my lips with his, and the fiery passion ignited.
We tugged at each other's clothes, being careful not to ruin the locket.
Which coincidentally, was the only thing I was left wearing in seconds.
His caresses set my skin on fire, and I arched my back against his expert touch. I was breathless, as his lips met mine again, while then leading a trail of kisses down my body, and I closed my eyes, basking in the ecstasy he so easily brought upon me.
All I felt was gentle love and caress, and when I felt him thrust into me, I couldn't help my nails from digging into his back.
All our worries were washed away as we entangled together, and my mind was free of any burdens at that moment.
All I needed was Severus Snape.
*******
A/N: just for the record, this was the longest chapter of the whole book, so I hoped you liked it. Make sure to comment and vote. I love you all! x -Hannah