Chapter 3

Emaly plopped down next to me the next afternoon at lunch. I looked up from my food, and smiled innocently.

Em glared. "Why weren't you in Potions this morning? Professor Snape asked me where you were, and I was at a loss. I couldn't tell him anything, because I didn't know anything." I looked at her, confused for a second; he asked about me? Wait, I told myself, why do you even care?

I shrugged nonchalantly. " I overslept."

Emaly rolled her eyes. "Yeah right, more like nursing a bloody hangover. You were drunk again, weren't you, Scar?"

I bit my lip, and looked back down at my plate of food. "I need it, Emmy. Okay? I don't like to think."

She sighed, laying a soothing hand on my shoulder. She knew what I meant, and that was why she was my best friend. I let out a breath, and forced a smile.

"I'm gonna....go do some homework." I muttered. Emaly nodded in understanding. I stood up, and left the Great Hall. As I was walking, an arm landed across my shoulder. I looked to my right, and grinned.

"Hi Harry." I greeted.

He smiled. "How are you, Scarlet?"

"Eh, the usual, how are you Mr. Chosen One?" I replied jokingly.

Harry let out a laugh. For a fifth year, he was pretty mature, and had been through a lot. We became friends when he was a fourth year.

"I'm alright, just heading to the Gryffindor common room. What about you?"

"Same thing. See you around. We better be careful though, you know. That Umbridge seems like a nasty woman. Have you had her yet?"

Harry groaned. "No not yet, in a little while."

I patted him on the shoulder wearily. "Good luck."

After that, we parted ways.

*********

(Nighttime)

I woke up with a start and sighed. Everytime I closed my eyes, I saw him. I grabbed my silk robe, and slid it on, accompanied by my slippers. I quietly snuck out of my room without waking up Emaly. The common room was empty, so I continued to exit. My breathing was not under control, and as soon as I hit the darkness of the corridor, my knees buckled, and I collapsed against the hard wall, sliding down it until I was sitting on the floor, the panic attack full-on now. I clutched at my hair, as the tears rolled down my face, and I hyperventilated. I laid my head on my knees, trying to stifle any sounds. A second later, I heard a voice, and saw the outline of a light through the crack in my knees.

"Miss Kingsley?" Snape inquired.

I wiped away my tears as indiscreetly as possible, and shakily stood up, hand holding me up, and tried my best to glare at him.

"Oh, don't fret. I'll get out of your precious corridor." I managed to snap through my labored breathing.

In the light of his wand illuminating the hall, I could see slight concern written on his face, and I guess for good reason. I was still breathing rather heavy.

"Are you having a panic attack?" he asked calmly. When I didn't answer, he grabbed my chin lightly, making me look right in his onyx eyes.

"Answer me, girl!"

My chin was tingling for some strange reason, and after a second I managed to tear my eyes away from his enthralling ones.

"Don't worry about me, I can take care of myself." I growled, calmly removing my chin from his grasp, and pushing past him. I took a breath, and looked back at him. His eyes held an emotion toward me that I had never seen in all my years at Hogwarts: worry. I didn't even know that the cold-hearted potions professor could emit such an emotion. I let out a shaky breath, and forced a small smile.

"Goodnight, Professor Snape."

I returned back to my dormitory, and slid back into bed, silently, cursing myself. There was no doubt now: I had feelings for him.

*********