Chapter 47

I gently got off of his lap, and stood up. He followed suit, and we started to dress.
Severus was done in a blink, fastening his robe around his neck. I finished by throwing my hair up into a messy ponytail, trying to fight off the shakiness of my fingers.
I gripped my wand in my hand, and watched as Severus grabbed his.
It was silent as we stood in front of each other. I met his eyes.
"We must go fight." Severus whispered.
I bit my lip nervously again.
"On which side?" I asked. It was a valid question after all.
"Against the Dark Lord. That's how it's always been. But, don't make it obvious. There will be DeathEaters out there who know us." Sev explained.
I sighed, gripping his hand. He was always only a couple inches taller than me.
"Will we stay together?" I asked.
"Always, Scarlet."
I swallowed tears, as I stepped forward, and kissed him.
It was passionate and gentle, and as always, it felt like time stopped.
After a minute, we pulled back from each other, our foreheads resting together.
"I love you, Scarlet." Sev whispered.
I giggled, my voice cracking. "I love you too, Sev."
He gripped my hand, and together, we approached the door.
Severus gently and quietly opened it, and looked out into the dark hallway. We descended down the steps, past the gargoyle, and stepped into the shadows.
We watched the chaos for a moment.
My heart was pounding. I couldn't believe this.
It was utter mayhem.
Sev and I exchanged a look, and we took off running.
Hexes and spells were flying every which way, and I deflected a few, as did Severus. There were so many coming from different directions that it was hard to keep up on defense.
A DeathEater I didn't recognize was dueling a fifth year, and winning. Without thinking, I acted.
"Stupefy!!"
The DeathEater flew backwards out of the window, screaming.
I still gripped my husband's hand as we fled down the corridor, defending and shooting spells against DeathEaters when we could.
I was panting heavily, having never ran this much in my life.
Sev looked to me, to check if I was okay.
That's all it took.
"Crucio!"
"Sev!!!" I shouted, running in front of him, just in time for the spell to hit me, instead of him.
I fell onto the stone floor, Sev right down beside me. I still felt alive, but pain was coursing through my body like wildfire.
A little part of me regretted taking the spell for Severus, because my body was in so much torture.
Sev, this time, looked panicked, as he took me in his arms, and in a flash of black, we had apparated.
****
I bit my lip, squeezing my eyes shut so I wouldn't cry out from the pain.
"Sev.." I whimpered, as he laid me down on the bed.
I could see him racing to the desk, drawers opening and closing in flashes, until he was back at my bedside.
"Here. It will ease the pain." Sev explained in a hurry, and before I could stop it, he had forced the liquid down my throat.
I swallowed it, and within seconds, the pain seemed to ease mostly, however I was still shaking.
Severus caressed my hair lovingly, gently.
"It's okay, Scarlet. You're okay." He muttered.
"You're so lucky I love you." I squeaked out.
Sev smiled slightly in response. "I'm flattered, but I would rather you refrain from doing dangerous things such as that."
I managed a shrug, and went to sit up.
"No. Lay back down." Sev scolded.
I glared at him. "As if."
Severus smirked, but a split second later, he shot up on his feet, right hand clutching his left forearm.
"He's calling?" I asked, already knowing the answer.
I gripped my necklace. It wasn't vibrating.
"I must go, Scarlet."
I panicked. "Why didn't he call for me as well?!"
Sev shook his head. "No idea. Stay here, Scarlet."
I shot out of the bed, and was on my feet in seconds, ignoring the mild pain still coursing through my body.
"You're mental."
Severus gripped the sides of my face gently, and kissed me. I received it, twisting my arms around his neck.
"Do not leave this room." My husband whispered against my lips, and before I could protest, he was gone.
******