Chapter 49

Scarlet's POV

I felt numb.
My eyes felt dry, and I couldn't bring myself to leave my husband's body. I sat in the limp crook of his arm, my head on his chest, and my hand gripping his cold one.
He was so cold.
I could hear the sounds of war from the boathouse, but I couldn't bring myself to engage.
I felt his wedding ring against my palm. Fresh tears pricked my eyes, as I gently pulled it off his finger, holding it tightly. I kissed it before taking off my necklace, and sliding it onto the chain. I clipped my necklace back around my neck.
It was all I had left of him.
I ripped my Dark Mark necklace from my neck and tossed it in the water. I was done.
I couldn't bring myself to look at my husband's limp body. The pain was too unbearable.
I just laid with him. I couldn't leave him here.
I closed my eyes.
What felt like seconds later, I heard footsteps enter the boathouse, and I opened my eyes to see who had.
Harry, Hermione, and Ron stood above me, solemn and silent.
Tears flowed silently down my face as I stared at them.
"He's gone." I croaked out, hand shakily covering my mouth to hold in a sob.
I didn't have the energy to say anything more. Instead, I just held out the vial with Severus's tears towards Harry.
"Take them. He wanted you to see everything. You need to know." I whispered, my voice raspy and withdrawn.
Harry clutched the vial of tears in his hand, looking down at it. His face filled with regret.
"Scarlet, I.." He didn't finish.
I held up a hand, stopping him from speaking further.
There was silence, before Harry spoke again.
"Come watch them with me, Scarlet. You're the only one that deserves to."
I stared at him, in a daze.
After what felt like an infinity, I nodded.
My heart told me to stay with Severus, but I knew I couldn't. I had to push through the pain.
I had to be strong.
I turned my head to plant a kiss on his cheek. My hand caressed his other.
"I love you, Severus. I'll see you again someday." I whispered, even though I knew he couldn't hear me.
I gathered my courage, and pushed myself off the floor.
With one last longing look behind me, I walked forward.
*******
I was walking blindly, following Harry. The destruction made my head spin, and I felt nauseous at the thought of seeing the casualties.
My mind flashed back to my husband.
He was one of those casualties.
I swallowed the lump in my throat. I stopped, watching Harry observe the many bodies in the Great Hall.
I kept on walking. I was being selfish, but the only person I cared about wasn't in there.
I found myself at the staircase that led to Dumbledore, Severus's, and probably now McGonagall's, office.
The gargoyle was destroyed, and the stairway halfway concealed, with enough space for a person to squeeze through.
Before I could, I felt Harry appear next to me. I looked to him, expressionless.
He gripped my hand in friendly comfort, and we walked up the stairs together.
The office was dark and deserted, as I expected it would be.
I felt a twist in my gut, and my hand found my mouth again. Every inch of the office, especially the bed, reminded me of him. I could still feel the caresses of his hands against my skin, never knowing it would be the last time I would feel his touch.
As if it weren't enough, more tears fell down my face. I collapsed in the middle of the floor, my knees feeling too weak to stand on. Harry was at my side instantly, but I motioned for him to take care of business.
I had agreed to look at Sev's memories, but I couldn't. It was too soon. The pain was too much.
I sat on the floor for the minutes Harry was face first in the pensieve.
Severus had completed what he needed to. Harry knew everything now, and would do what he had to do.
My husband.
He died a hero, my hero.
When Harry pulled his head up, his aura had changed. We didn't say anything. He just looked at me, and I understood. He kneeled down, and hugged me.
I didn't plan on seeing him again.
Seconds later, he stood up, and with a final wave, he exited the office.
I was alone again.
I looked around the office, memories flashing through my mind. I knew they would never go away.
My fingers found the necklace, and I gripped his wedding ring gently.
I needed to go somewhere I could be alone.
Taking a chance, I tried to apparate. I never had before, but I knew it had worked when I landed in the front foyer of my destination.
Our house on Spinner's End.
Memories flashed through my mind again, and I smiled a little, if only a little.
Most of the memories were good ones.
I walked into the sitting room, and took a seat at Sev's desk.
My eyes glanced down, spotting a white envelope, with my name sprawled across it in my husband's familiar handwriting.
I gingerly picked it up between my fingertips.
I stared at it for a second before opening it.
I unfolded the sheet of paper, and began to read.
Scarlet, my love;
There are many things I wish to tell you, but I don't think there are enough words to convey it. I couldn't be more honored to call you my wife. You've been the light of my life, at a time where it was consumed by darkness. I believed I was settled to live in misery for the rest of my life. I didn't know it at the time, but you came into my life for a reason. You grew up right before my eyes, and despite how I treated you in your first six years at Hogwarts, I knew you were destined for greatness. I believed in you, no matter how much I tried to conceal it.
And in your last year, everything was different. Something changed, and I didn't know what it was or why it happened.
Now, I can answer: you changed,  as did I. We both let down our emotional walls for each other, and I couldn't have guessed it would have turned out the way that it did. You have made me the happiest man, more than you will ever know.
If you're curious, which I know you are, I'm writing this as you sleep. And like I know you would, you found this letter. And since you have, something has happened to me. I'm not sure what yet, but there is no way to stop the inevitable.
I admire your unwavering strength and loyalty, my love. No person has ever stood by my side as long as you have, and I'm eternally grateful.
I don't believe in fate, but if there was such a thing, this is it.
You and I were meant for each other. I find there is no other way to explain it.
So instead of explaining it in its complexity, I will just write it simply:
You are my soulmate, Scarlet Lila Snape. And no matter what, just remember that my heart will always belong to you.
I love you endlessly and irrevocably, and I feel safe and content knowing you've always felt the same.
Be strong and brave, Scarlet. You always had a better chance at happiness than I.
I love you, my beautiful witch.
My Love Always,
Severus T. Snape

I sobbed. I sobbed for him, and I sobbed for myself. I clutched the letter to my chest as I did so. Despite my unbearable pain, I knew what I had to do. I had to be strong and brave.

But not just for me.

For Severus too.
*******
A/N: one chapter to go, which will be the epilogue. Vote, comment, cry, whatever you feel is necessary. Thank you guys for reading this story. I'm actually proud of it all. I will post the epilogue soon.