Chapter 45

Curses were flying before I could catch my breath.
Fire erupted from McGonagall's wand and Severus blocked it. I noticed he wasn't firing any spells back, just blocking. I wanted to fire a spell, but I couldn't move, let alone utter a spell.
I backed up as Severus did, and I ducked as he sent one of McGonagall's curses backwards at the Carrow siblings, who collapsed on the floor.
In a blur, I gripped Sev's arm, and we apparated in a flash of black, and into the night.
******
We apparated straight back to Dumbledore's old office, and Sev waved his wand, locking the door, making it so that no one could come in from the outside.
I finally was able to breathe, and I couldn't believe what had just occurred. I wasn't really sure what to say.
I was sort of in a daze, but I could hear Severus looking around in drawers, opening and closing them.
I broke out of my daze, as he came to stand in front of me.
He had a box in his hand.
He took in a breath before speaking.
"It must happen tonight." He whispered, looking down at me.
Instantly, I knew what he was talking about.
He turned to Dumbledore's portrait, and portrait Dumbles was already smiling knowingly.
"Albus, marry us now." Severus asked.
I smiled.
"Very well. Join hands."
We did so, and I already felt tears coming to my eyes. Joyful ones.
A golden ray of light seemed to wrap around our joined hands, continuing to glow, and I couldn't keep the smile off my face.
The portrait of Dumbledore's eyes twinkled.
"You may read your vows now."
Sev looked down at me, and I could see slight tears glistening in his eyes, and it made my heart swell.
"Scarlet Lila Kingsley, I don't know where to begin. I never would have thought this would ever happen to me. I never thought myself deserving of love. I've done horrible things, and my past is not a kind one. Despite all of that, you've stuck by me, and I am eternally grateful.
Knowing you the way I do now, I couldn't ask for better. You've brought down my emotional wall, and I've felt things I haven't in years. No matter what may happen in the future, I love you, Scarlet. Always."
I sniffled, and laughed a little when his thumb wiped away my tear.
"Severus Snape, I have no idea where to begin either. I have no idea when this all came about, but I'm glad it did. I couldn't believe I had found someone so similar to me, who understood the pain I'd gone through in my life. You did.
You understand me, and cherish me, and you are a true gentleman. I promise to stay by your side, and love you forever. I won't ever stop, and you can count on that. I love you more than there are stars in the sky."
I let out a breath.
We both looked to the portrait, and Dumbledore was smiling.
"With my power, I now pronounce you husband and wife. Severus, you may kiss your bride."
Severus smirked at me.
"You don't need to tell me twice." He muttered.
I smirked, as our lips met, and he dipped me down in his arms. After a minute we pulled back, and I looked down at my hand. The engagement ring had been replaced with a gold and green, diamond wedding ring. I glanced at Sev's hand, and he had a more masculine copy of the ring on his finger as well.
I looked back up at my husband.
Without a word, Severus turned Dumbledore's portrait over, so he couldn't see us anymore.
In one step, Severus had captured me gently in his arms.
"Scarlet Lila Snape." He whispered, seeming to test it out on his tongue.
I smirked, loving the sound of it.
"I suit your last name quite well, if I do say so myself." I teased.
"Indeed." Severus replied, adoration shining in his eyes.
Before I could catch my breath, he had picked me up, and carried me to the bed. His lips on my neck sent familiar shivers up my spine, and I sighed in ecstasy.
We'd made love plenty of times before, but this time was different. We were consummating our marriage.
It felt like seconds before both of our clothes were shed, and my husband's fingers were gently caressing my body. I arched my back into it, and my arms wrapped around his neck.
Slowly, and ever so gently, Severus eased inside of me, and he pulled our bodies together as tight as we possibly could.
We moved rhythmically together, and I pulled Sev's face down to mine, to kiss him again. I put all of my emotions into it, and I felt him do the same.
We made love for hours, it seemed. I was laying with my head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat.
We had escaped for a little while from the reality below.
However, I knew in my gut that something was close at hand, and I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.
It was going to be war.
******