Chapter 14

(Scarlet's POV)

Hours into the day, late afternoon

My eyes were fluttering open and closed. I was so weak, and so tired. I could barely take a breath in, because it hurt so terribly to do so. I was malnourished, and I was sure I had a broken rib. The bruises on my face were pulsing lightly, and I felt like I was being left for dead, which was most likely what was happening. My father murdered my mother in cold blood, poisoned her without a second thought. I knew there was nothing stopping him from doing the same to me. I knew his deepest secret, and he would make sure it would die with me.

With those thoughts running through my mind now, thoughts of Severus were joining them. We were never going to have a proper relationship, if I was to truly die here. It had just begun, and it was never going to continue, and the tragedy of it all made me start crying all over again. I cursed at myself, hating how weak I felt. I had never been this emotional, and it frustrated me.

The only good thing I could think of that would come out of all of this torture was the reunion with my mother in death. I missed her so much.

My thoughts were halted, and I put on my numb face, as I heard the click of the door opening. My heart was racing. My father pushed his way in, shutting the door.

"Have you had time to mull over your failures, my dear daughter? Said your internal goodbyes?" he asked, advancing closer to me.

I took a staggered breath, my mind racing on how to save my life on my own, because I knew I was the only one who could now.

I took a huge breath in, and shouted as loud as I could. "Accio wand!"

My eyes widened with relief as my wand flew out from under the bedside table, and I caught it in my chained hand. Thank you Dad for having a slight lapse in intelligence.

I prepared my mind in my weak state, trying to focus on a defensive spell as my father walked closer. Before I could utter it, my bedroom door flew off its hinges, and another voice did, one I knew all too well.

"STUPEFY!"

My father flew backwards, away from me, colliding with the other wall of my bedroom, rendering him unconscious.

My head was spinning, due to fear and my continuing decrease in energy to stay awake. I let out a relieved breath, and my body relaxed, the overpowering weakness of it taking over. I couldn't move. I was completely out of it, my vision blurring.

My eyes glanced to the doorway, where the black-clad figure stood, the shock evident on his face. Severus raced over, his eyes drowning with worry, and I forced a weak smile.

"You found me." I whispered.

"Scarlet, what has he done to you?" he muttered, fingers gently tracing over my bruises.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." I joked, letting out a ragged breath. I winced at the intense level of pain.

"Can you walk?" he asked softly, as he pointed his wand at my restraints, freeing me from them.

I shook my head, eyes fluttering.

"I feel...so..weak." I whispered so quietly, that I would be thoroughly amazed if Snape was able to hear it. According to his face, which was etched with fear and concern, he did, and a second later, I saw him cast his Patronus, speaking quickly. I couldn't make out what he said, just the name of the headmaster.

A second later, I could feel myself gently being lifted up bridal style. I leaned against Snape's chest, trying to breathe.

I closed my eyes as I felt the sickening feeling of apparating. It was my first time doing so. Unfortunately it was under horrible circumstances.

My eyes barely fluttered open as I noticed we were back in Hogwarts, and Snape was racing down a corridor, from what I could tell.

Everything started to go black, as I heard Snape's voice pleading.

"Scarlet, stay awake."

I couldn't help it. I descended into darkness.

********