Chapter 33

Scarlet's POV

My heart was racing with anxiety as Severus bolted out of the bed, and started to put his clothes back on.

"How long will you be?" I asked, biting my lip.

"However long it takes." he answered, as he threw his cape over his shoulders and fastened it swiftly.

I sighed, "Please be careful." I whispered.

In a flash, he had leant down to plant a kiss on my forehead.

"I will return." he replied, loving eyes boring into mine. I couldn't figure out what he was feeling, because his eyes betrayed nothing.

I nodded in understanding, and watched as he apparated from the bedroom.

*******

Sev's POV

I arrived seconds later outside Malfoy Manor. I prepared myself with my usual demeanor, blocking my thoughts from invasion. I entered the house, and walked inside the dark room where every meeting has taken place. I took my usual seat at the long table, purposely avoiding eye contact with my fellow DeathEaters, most of whom I despised.

It felt like a millennium before the Dark Lord joined us. Every person raised their head in respect, as he glided to his seat at the head of his table, his disgusting snake, Nagini, trailing behind him.

There was a moment of silence before his snake-like hiss of a voice echoed through the room.

"We have failed to obtain the prophecy." he began, eyes scanning each person. I fought hard to keep my face expressionless.

"However, there seems to be a graver matter to discuss this evening. There is a power out of my hands, one that has strengthened, and I believe it is time to coerce it to join our ranks."

My heart felt like lead. No...

Voldemort smiled, showing his decayed teeth. "Many of you may be aware of a certain event, one that happened long ago, but is still remembered as a triumph. The Kingsley murder perhaps?"

Every DeathEater nodded at the reminder, I included, even though my emotions were at war within me.

"Isabella Kingsley's daughter is alive and well. Her power has strengthened, or so it is rumored. She is as powerful as her mother once was. I do hope she is not as determined as her mother; it would be foolish to refuse a spot within our ranks."

This earned a few chuckles from around the table.

Voldemort held up a hand to silence the room. "Unfortunately, her whereabouts are unknown. Her father failed to keep her under his eye."

Bellatrix cackled from down the table. "I'll find her, My Lord. She won't stand a chance!"

Voldemort gave her a glare, and she quieted down. I kept my eyes on him.

"You underestimate the power of a Siren, Bella. Nevertheless, we will find her, and she will not be able to refuse. She will fight for us, I assure you."

With that, he stood up, hands clasped together in front of him. "Dismissed."

Death-Eaters began to exit the manor, but I was unable to.

"Severus."

I turned around, and bowed my head in respect. "My Lord."

"I have a special assignment for you. I'm putting you in charge of finding the Kingsley girl. I expect you to use your intelligence to your advantage. Use whatever means necessary to persuade her, Severus. If she refuses, I command you to bring her to me."

I couldn't do anything other than nod. "I shall, My Lord."

Voldemort patted my shoulder, and I kept my expressionless façade.

"You may go."

I obliged, and with a swift whip of my cape, I apparated.

*******

Scarlet's POV

I was pacing back and forth in the living room, running my hands through my hair in nervous anticipation. I had no idea how long Sev had been gone, but it felt like forever. The worst possible scenarios were running through my mind.

I could only imagine how he was feeling, and I knew he was scared. His eyes just never showed it. He was so brave.

I was pulled out of my reverie by a loud pop. I turned around, hand clutched to my chest in surprise.

Severus stood there, an unreadable expression on his face.

I let out a breath I didn't know I'd been holding. "Gods, Sev! You scared the hell out of me!"

I approached him, and wrapped my arms around him. He did the same, only one hand was entangled in my hair gently, and the other clutched me protectively to him.

Moments later, I pulled back, and his fingers found my chin, planting a kiss on my lips. I obliged.

I looked into his eyes, and he seemed worried.

"What happened?" I questioned.

"You were right. The Dark Lord wants you to join his ranks. He's searching for you."

I let out a harsh breath. "He won't find me, right? Not while I'm living with you. For all he knows I could be dead."

Severus sighed, grabbing my hand. We sat down on his couch, and he faced me. He released a frustrated breath before he spoke.

"He has requested that I be the one to find you, and persuade you. If you refuse, he commanded me to bring you to him. Scarlet, if I fail, there is a strong chance he will kill me."

I felt like my heart had stopped. I could barely draw in a breath, as I searched Severus' eyes for the lie he had to be telling me. I couldn't find it.

I was terrified. And at the moment, even that was an understatement.

*****

A/N: I know, it's short. I just wanted to turn out something for you guys, because I start school tomorrow, and I have no idea when I will have time to update next. But anyways, do what you do. x -Hannah