III

If the names of the characters are different from how other sources say they're spelled, it's literally because every platform has a different spelling. I couldn't even tell you which ones were right or wrong, but I'm going to keep using the version of their names that I'm watching the show on and how it says it's spelled.

"Any second thoughts on taking the case of President Joo II-do of JU Chemicals as your first trial?" The elder man with glasses and graying hair asked the prominent judge and his tiny assistant

"None. I've deemed it the most appropriate for Judge Kang's debut, and he agrees with me." Eun-mi answered for Yo-han. Yo-han silently nodded along in agreement, as he knew that all eyes went on him first, despite the smaller woman next to him basically running his life.

"But there are easier and simpler cases, though." The older man pointed it out to them. He then picked up his cup of tea and began drinking it.

"There's no need for concern, as long as we go by the law." Yo-han told him as a retort.

"Besides, it's a trial show. The audience doesn't want to see Judge Kang handle easy, clean-cut cases." Eun-mi added, saying it as if it were a fact. Which, knowing how much time she spent researching these cases and doing the math to see how much attention they'd bring, was probably true.

"But he'll round up the best lawyers in this country." The old man countered once more.

Eun-mi looked over at Yo-han with fake confusion on her face.

"Are you going to be both the judge and the defense lawyer? Why didn't you tell me sooner?" She asked him in a questioning manner.

Yo-han smirked at that before nodding to himself. He reached over to her, his hand hovering over her left knee, and then tapped it twice.

"Don't. You know you're getting the yearly Christmas bonus already, so you don't have to butter me up." He told her, although his new smugness didn't vanish. The old man shook his head at the two with a small smile on his face.

"Ms. Bae, Mr. Kang, you both should know that public trust in our judiciary has hit the tens." He informed the two. Eun-mi moved her gaze over to him before straightening herself in her seat and letting out a sigh.

"Yes." The two said it at the same time, with no emotion on their faces.

"So why take a difficult case for the public trial where much discrepancy is expected between the public sentiment and—"

"Chief Justice." Yo-han said, cutting off the old man. "The Live Court Show is not a kangaroo court. I think my assistant would have an ulcer if we ruined all of her hard work in such a way. It is a transparent one, with our citizens bearing witness. And that's all I need."