☆Ch22

The three mobians' plan was harshly ruined because of Sonic getting fever over night and thus the speedster woke up with a terrible, woozy state of mind and completely burning body. Despite that, he was shivering and his fur stood up, his body desperately trying to fight against the sickness. Shadow was angry at first, for it meant only more complications, but his inner deep care for the blue hedgehog made him still rather help him. Sticks offered a help as well, but Shadow rejected her, until she promised to bring a healing herbs, thanks to her growing up in nature she knew a lot about various types of plants and herbs.
"Fine," Shadow retorted in response and Sticks quickly left the cave, heading towards her shack, which will take a while for sure. In the meantime, Shadow brought a wet cloth to Sonic and gently placed it on his forehead.
"How come you're even sick, hedgehog? I thought you run on chaos energy as well?" he asked him in confusion, while Sonic could keep his eyes barely open as he weakly smiled.
"I do... but, doesn't mean I am invincible," he replied in quiet tone and Shadow then placed his hand on Sonic's chest.
"Shhh, you shouldn't rather speak, you look really weak right now," he said calmly and Sonic could, once again, witness the ebony male's actually caring and calm side. It brought some peace to him.
"Heh, thanks?" Sonic still managed to keep a positive attitude, even when he suffered now.

Shadow felt the other's heart beating unusually rapidly against his palm and it made him feel worried.
"What did I say?" he quietly warned him and felt Sonic place his hot hand on top of his own, which still rested on the blue hedgehog's chest.
"I survived worse, trust me," Sonic replied in whisper and felt the whole world spinning with him.
"Tch, you better be alright in the end!" Shadow growled in response and felt the other's grip slightly tigtening on his hand.
"C-Can you cuddle me, please?" Sonic looked up at him weakly, his eyes extremely tired and barely focused.
"Cuddle?!" Shadow panicked, widening his eyes he felt his cheeks burning hot and his own heart now speeding up the pace.
"Please, Shads... I-I need you," Sonic pleaded, weakly trying to pull the other's arm down towards him, getting clingy now. Shadow sighed and yanked his hand away from the other's grip, making him nearly tear up, but then he slipped himself into the sleeping back behind Sonic and wrapped his arms around him, cuddling him close to his chest.
"You're such a trouble, hedgehog!" he groaned as he rested his head on the side of the other's messy quills, making some of them intertwining with his own. Sonic leaned back against Shadow's comfy chest and hugged the other's hands close to his chest, closing his eyes he smiled upon the nice sensation flowing through him.
"But you love me, right," he let out barely in whisper before his breathing became slower and deeper due to him falling asleep again. Shadow didn't respond, blushing a bit he tried to push those words aside and just held the other close to his body, keeping him warm and safe.

Eventually, Sticks returned with the said herbs and paused, when she saw the two hedgehogs cuddled up in the sleeping bag. Shadow gave her a warning glare, which made her gulp nervously as she approached them quietly and showed the ebony hybrid the herbs she brought.
"I shall make tea with these herbs, it should work faster on him, because of his higher healing factor," she explained and Shadow listened attentively before giving her a nod. Sticks moved towards the small kitchen corner Shadow created in his cave and boiled the water while taking a mug to make the tea for Sonic in it. She learned this from Amy. Once the tea was done, Shadow told her to leave it on the counter, because Sonic was currently asleep anyway. Sticks listened to him and did as he told her before sitting calmly on the soft carpet next to them and getting lost in thoughts there, sharing the silent moment. Sonic quietly murmured something in his sleep and then moved to turn on his other side, which made him face Shadow and bury his face to the crook of Shadow's neck while hugging him tightly. Shadow let the blue hedgehog change the position before absentmindedly stroking the other's backspins and quills to help him sleep well.
"How is he?" Sticks suddenly interrupted the silence.
"Burning hot.. what do you expect?" Shadow retorted.
"Well, I didn't mean... uh, nevermind," Sticks rather waved it off and dropped it, obviously still not succeeding to get on Shadow's emotional side.
"Do you like him?" she asked instead, starting a different topic. Shadow clenched his jaw and actually wasn't sure how to answer such simple question. Does he truly like him?
"I don't know," was his final answer, Sticks raised a brow.
"You don't know, if you like Sonic? You have to know, how he makes you feel, right? Like, he said to me, that you make him feel happy and loved," she spoke in calm tone while hugging her knees with her arms as she sat on the carpet, oddly enough not being even a bit sick. Most likely due to being used to the wild environment.
"I... do?" Shadow frowned as he glanced down at the sleeping sick hedgie in his arms, wondering, if he truly had such effect on him.
"Probably, if he says it," Sticks shrugged in response. Shadow could now also see, that there is more in the crazy badger, than what she usually lets on. She was actually smart, despite her paranoid nature.
"You haven't really had many friends, did you?" she said carefully, now rather feeling bad for him after seeing him doubting himself. He did not have anyone in his life, who would appreciate him or see him in better light. Well, except for Sonic and now also Sticks. The rest of the gang potentially as well.
"No. I didn't need anyone at all, I am able to take care of myself," Shadow replied honestly and occassionally checked up on Sonic's condition, feeling his fever subside a little, which brought relief to him.
"I can tell. Your home is really cool, kinda similar to what I have. But you seem to be more advanced compared to me," Sticks shared her honest opinion about Shadow's place, actually liking it here a lot. Shadow finally lifted his gaze up to her.
"You also live in a cave?" he asked her with his curiousness peaked a little. Sticks softly laughed in response, which brought a scowl to Shadow's face.
"No, I have built myself a shack from anything I could use. And it's actually decent, since I live there for years by now," she replied with a smile on her face. Shadow replaced the scowl by neutral expression.
"I see. Never thought I would ever have anything in common with another mobian, honestly," he replied calmly and sighed before perking his ears up, as he felt Sonic stir in his sleep and actually wake up again.
"Mhm....mmhh, Shaaaads.. you stayed with meee," the blue hedgehog formed a wide smile across his muzzle as he looked into his eyes. Due to facing him, he wasn't aware of Sticks sitting on the side behind him.