☆Ch39

"Hmmmmmmmm," Sonic let out a very long, satisfied hum, when he woke up the next morning, stretching his stiff body he yawned and opening his eyes he had to rub them a bit, so he could see clearly. He touched the space next to him and his eyes instantly widened as he quickly sat up and due to the bad pressure he started seeing nothing, as the blackness temporarily took over his sight. His head slightly pulsed and he rubbed it in an attempt to soothe his nerves and stop the pulsing. Laying back down he waited for the pressure to balance itself and once he could see normally again, he carefully lifted himself to a sitting position again, then looked around the camp, unable to find the dark hybrid anywhere in this location.
"Shadow?" he called out his name, standing up he brushed some dirt and dust off of his fur before walking around a bit, yet not daring to move too far from the camp, as he did not want to get lost in the jungle, completely alone. Even though, maybe he was already lost in the jungle, alone. Was the previous night only his dream?
"Ridiculous, I am here, in the middle of nowhere, it wasn't just a dream.... was it?" he spoke to himself, trying to remain as calm as possible, but deep down he was slowly starting to panic without Shadow around.

"Shadoooow! SHAAAADS!" cupping his mouth he started yelling his missing companion's name while looking for him all around, still keeping check of their little campfire, so he wouldn't lose it from his sight. He was now in fair distance from it and now hoped, that there isn't going to be any other random adventurer taking over it. Such thought made him a little paranoid now, what if such a thing happens? Well, then he's going to put up a fight for the place, because it belongs to him and Shadow.
"Shaaaadoooow!" the hero tried to call out again, only scaring some birds, that flew away from the tree tops.
"Shhhhh!" a dark gloveless hand suddenly wrapped itself around Sonic's muzzle and its owner gently pinned the hero to the nearest tree trunk. Shadow stood now right in front of him with a makeshift wooden spear in his hand, the sharp tip of it was made of stone.

"Shadow, where were you?" Sonic whispered this time, once his muzzle got released by Shadow's hand.
"Hunting," the ebony male replied nonchalantly.
"Your damn screaming always scared our prey away! I cannot hunt if you keep being so noisy!" he added before Sonic could react, due to a misunderstanding he blamed Sonic for their breakfast always running away.
"Ugh, can't we just find rather some berries and fruits?"
"Tch, if you think, that you can satisfy your hunger with those, go ahead. I am going to eat something more nutrient," Shadow scoffed in response, refusing to just gather berries from around and eat only those. He did this in the past, which wasn't much pleasant and thus had to keep stealing food from the village or hunt down some animals in order to give his body some proper nutrients. He himself was now surprised, that nobody ever caught him red-handed. Hmpf, he was the ultimate, after all.
"Yeah, gladly! At least I won't be an animal killer!" Sonic retorted and stubbornly stomped away in random direction, due to his emotional state he completely forgot about their camp.
"Sonic, come back! You can't go too far from our camp, hey!" Shadow instantly followed him and thus they both were moving farther away from the camp, until it fully disappeared from their sight.
"Sonic, come on, stop damn sulking over such trivial- oof!" as the ebony hedgehog focused on the blue speedster, he wasn't minding his surroundings, thus he fell into a deep pit, which was surely someone's trap set here in the jungle, most likely meant for some wild animals to get caught in it. Sonic abruptly turned around, when he heard Shadow releasing the sudden huff and the worry now took over him, as he bent forward to look into the deep pit.
"Shads! Hold on, I'll get you out of there!" he exclaimed and in a panic he tried to find anything he could use to pull Shadow out of the pit.

"Don't bother," Shadow scoffed in response and was about to teleport out of the pit, but paused, as he noticed something in the dirt. Brushing it a bit off he could see, that there was a stone plate positioned vertically in the 'wall' of the pit, mostly hidden by the earth.
"Wow... what's this?" he whispered to himself, whilst Sonic still so frantically moved around the area in a desperate search for something useful. He found a decently long branch, which he picked up and returned to the pit.
"Hey, Shadow! I found this, grip it tightly and I'll pull you out of it!" he called out and slowly moved the branch down to the pit, hoping, that it's long enough to reach the hybrid. Shadow flicked his ears and despite hearing Sonic's words clearly, he was still amazed by the stone plate. There was something carved in it and Shadow slowly revealed part of the picture, seemingly a scorpion tail. The realization hit him like a truck and he quickly teleported out of the pit, which caused Sonic to give him a serious glare.
"Are you kidding me right now?" Sonic dropped the branch to the pit before crossing his arms.
"We should get out of here, quick!" Shadow whispered, ignoring Sonic's glare as he grabbed his hand and started moving in fast pace far from the pit, not really wanting to know, what might be hiding behind that stone plate.
" What's the matter? Shads, did you see anything in there?" Sonic questioned him and easily caught up on him, also feeling flustered by their connected hands.
"Something associated with scorpions is down there and I don't really wish to find out, what it is," Shadow explained, once they finally came to a stop in a safe distance from the pit.
"Scorpions? Aren't those living rather in desert?" Sonic raised a brow.
"They are, but I assume, that there might be some underground hallways, where these creatures might live as well," Shadow replied and sat down on a nearby tree stump.
"I see. Well, good, that you teleported out of it then, heh," Sonic rubbed his quills nervously, now feeling bad for getting upset earlier.
"Yeah. But I have to save up some energy from now on, using teleportation so often isn't good for me," Shadow replied calmly and looked around.
"There are your favourite fruits," he pointed at one of the trees, which had a sweet, pinkish fruits growing out of it.