Ch☆23

The next day, Sonic somehow managed to convince Shadow to go with him to the village and finally stop this conflict between him and the villagers, of course with Shadow's help, where the lifeform promised to not be instantly violent, unless the situation calls for it. Shadow scolded Sonic for touching his stuff in the morning and warned him, that if he does it just one more time, he won't ever be allowed to enter his cave again. Sonic took the warning deep to his heart and promised to not touch Shadow's stuff without permission anymore and Shadow was actually fine with such deal, so he dropped it and now the two were on the way to the village. The sky was bright blue and the sun was slowly approaching its highest spot up there, kissing the surface with its warming rays. Shadow wore his usual neutral expression on his face, still casually having the sea-shell bracelet on his left wrist, as he actually never took it off. It was so rare for him to receive a gift, thus he expressed his gratitude by wearing the bracelet non-stop. Sonic sometimes notices it and it always brings smile to his face, just like now as well. Shadow noticed him smiling and raised a brow questioningly in response, silently asking, why is he smiling like that.
"I do not find this situation as a reason to smile, you know," he spoke up, as they approached the outskirts of the village, which brought some nervousness to Sonic, but he still tried to stay positive.
"I have my own reasons to smile, Shads, you know~" he mused in response and gently poked the ebony male with his elbow, earning a soft hiss from him.
"Whatever," Shadow rolled his eyes afterwards and crossed his arms over his chest, per usual, as he walked next to his companion and headed to the center of the village along with him. A few villagers gasped upon their arrival, seeing the black hedgehog here worked like a bad sign for them and they cowered behind anything in paranoia, now believing, that their day is going to be ruined by bad luck. Shadow was something like the black cat superstition, with this certain animal crossing one's path and thus 'bringing bad luck' to them. Of course, the villagers were just too paranoid out of fear, that Shadow will beat the life out of them, if they dare to even breathe the same air like him.

Additionally, whispers and rumors started spreading across the village about Sonic bringing the 'bad luck' to them by letting Shadow come along with him and even acting friendly towards him. What surprised them was Shadow's unusual calmness, since he truly just walked next to Sonic and remained silent, not daring to say or do anything out of ordinary. Sonic finally spotted his friends at Meh-Burger and quickly approached them, while Shadow rather slowly dragged himself towards them, hesitating a bit.
"Sonic! Am I glad to see you! Sticks told me everything," Amy got up first and went to hug her friend with Sonic hugging her back and gently patting her shoulder.
"Hi, Ames. Hey, gang-," Sonic greeted them all after breaking the hug with Amy. Only to get crushed in a deadly grip of the echidna, who acted emotional and even slightly teared up.
"I was so worried about you! When I heard, that you were sick, I thought I would never see you again!" poor Knuckles sobbed while crushing Sonic in his arms, unintentionally making him struggle and try to desperately catch some breath. Amy giggled and placed her hand on the echidna's shoulder.
"Knuckles, maybe you should... you know..." she hinted her meaning by gesturing towards the blue hedgehog, whose muzzle was slightly turning purple from the lack of oxygen.

"Oh- whoops, I am sorry, pal!" Knuckles looked down and quickly let go of the blue hedgehog, who coughed a little and lifted his hand, signing for everyone to give him a second. Shadow stood in safe distance from everyone and just watched them, feeling many eyes on him. Those eyes belonged to all the other villagers, who watched his every step and got ready to either run or attack, would he make a sudden move.
"It's... fine, phew, heh. I missed ya all as well, honestly," Sonic finally caught his breath and nervously chuckled before looking at the ebony male.
"Shads, come here," he gestured with his head for him to come closer, his friends all nodded and seemed to welcome him among themselves, but Shadow still shook his head, now too tense to do anything at all. Sonic understood and got an idea.
"You know what, can we gather everyone to the center? I think I am ready to finally speak up and face them all," he spoke to his friends. Tails flew up and nodded.
"I'm on it!" he left to his workshop, only to return with a megaphone in his hands and started shouting through the entire village, appealing to everyone to stop cowering or whatever and come to the center, for Sonic has an important announcement to share.