Chapter 48

It has been over 3 weeks since Alexa's last symptoms showed up and her condition worsened.

People keep coming and going, visiting her very frequently in the hospital.

She's been at the hospital for 2 weeks much to her dismay and then she got discharged and now, it has been a week she's been at home.

Brian and Noah's parents have signed them up for online classes. It is because of Alexa's condition that made the kids want to be near her in any possible way. So, Anna discussed the topic with Brian's parents regarding the topic and they agreed.

So, Brian and Noah went to NY and stayed with Chris and Scarlett with the twins.

Anna will come on the weekends with Kimmy to check on the boys and to come visit Alexa also not to forget to give support to the twins parents.

Which lead to their current situation now,

Anna and Scarlett on the backyard porch with a cup of tea in their hands. No coffee, because Anna could see the eyebags and how exhausted Scarlett looks like.

"I don't think it'll get easier from this onwards" Scarlett said with a quiet whisper as her gazes keep up front without looking at Anna

Anna turned to look at Scarlett for a while before she turned to look at the front as well. It was nothing out of the ordinary. Just a pool and backyard kitchen living area porch that the family have there but Anna knows Scarlett couldn't look each other in the eyes. Her eyes held thousands of heartbreak and pains.

"No it doesn't" Anna replied in understanding. There's no point of sugarcoating what she's gonna say and Scarlett is relieved to be hearing such replies because, not that she's being ungrateful but everyone has been so positive that it doesn't make sense anymore based on the situation and Alexa's state.

"I cried in Chris's arms every single night. Breaking down in his arms, him breaking down along with me. We're too scared. We can't sleep, because if we do, what if she calls out for me and him but we couldn't hear her and something happens and we'll regret it? Because we couldn't reach her on time" Scarlett added with a broken whisper, her eyes finally giving in to the tears that has been building up for a while now

"The what ifs cycle won't end, honey. It'll keep repeating every single day. But the way you go through it will change your what ifs perspective" Anna said as she put down her tea cup and lean her back on the chair they were sitting on

"I have my doubts every single night too. Like what if I went to sleep tonight and my phone was on silent and you were calling me to tell me about any news regarding her and the next morning I only realized that it was too late... What if I go to sleep tonight without calling her and who knows my last time hearing her voice was long ago" Anna added as she sighs sadly.

She's a mother, she's also a mother figure to Alexa and Axel before Scarlett came back to their life. So Alexa is as much like her daughter as she is to Scarlett.

"One special girl" Scarlett whispers with a soft sad smile "Everyone loves her so much and I am grateful that her surroundings are so loving towards her"

"Special girl you got indeed" Anna said, mirroring the smile towards Scarlett

-/-

"Our camping" Alexa stated

The teens are currently in Alexa's room, hanging out. Alexa sat up against her headboard, Axel next to his twin sister, Brian and Noah laying in her bed in a starfish position

"I doubt we can go camping just us though" Axel exclaimed, thinking widely on the prospect. With Alexa's condition and the parents' paranoia.

Alexa's face dawned on the realization and nodded her head defeatedly. There's so much restriction now on her life much to her dismay.