Chapter Nine

Trying to find the one that can fix me, I've been dodging death in the six speed
- The Weekend

~ Midas ~

"Guard the room she's in. Do not let anyone in unless it's Matteo, Leo, Josie or I. Understood." I looked down at one of my security guards and he nodded.

"Yes Capo." He ascended the staircase, and I turned to walk downstairs.

The darkness surrounded me as I walked through the basement. I could see the three idiots up ahead, and I could see Max, through the small light illuminating him. He was awake, and looked absolutely petrified. I walked into the room, all three voices stopped as they stared at me. I walked up to him, punching him across the face in the same way he did to Jessica.

Anger ran through my veins as I remember the blood that was dripping from her face. The pain she was in. I wanted to fucking kill Max Balan with my bare goddamn hands, and nobody in this room would be able to stop me. He turned his head to the side and spit out blood onto the floor. I looked down at him and grabbed my knife.

"Ace. Where is he." I demanded, dragging the knife down his skin, leaving marks as it went.

"I don't know!" He screamed in pain, trying to kick me away.

"When's the last time you heard from him or about him?" I glared at him, and he shook his head.

"I don't know!" He yelled once more. I gritted my teeth, grabbing the knife and stabbing it into his leg. He screamed out in pain as I retracted it.

"Tell me, pezzo di merda!" I yelled, grabbing him by the collar of his shirt and letting the knife fall to the floor.

(Piece of shit.)

"I don't know where he is!" Max spoke quickly. I brought my hand up, punching him across the face once more. Blood was pooling from his leg, and dropped from his mouth, and nose. I raised my eyebrow at him and he shook his head. I punched him across the face again. And again. And again. If that's how he hit Jessica, that's how he's going to die.

"Midas, you're going to kill him." Leo said, pulling me off of him.

"It's Capo to you."

"Sorry Boss." Leo looked at me sheepishly and I looked back at Max. I grabbed the gun from my waistband, pointed it at his heart, before pulling the trigger. Blood was over taking the floors. My white button up was now stained by his blood. I tucked the gun away, looking back at Leo.

"Send him back to them piece by piece. I want to send a message." I looked down at my hands, the redness appearing but no pain reached the surface.

I walked up the stairs, running my hands through my hair as I looked around as I went. I hurriedly walked towards my office and swung the door open. I took my shirt off, threw it on the floor somewhere and cleaned myself up. I grabbed a plain black t-shirt and put it on before sitting down at my desk.

D'Angelo Austin
Age 22
Underground fighter, street racer.
Lives alone; no siblings
Parents; deceased

I kept reading, confusion hitting my body more and more. Something was off. Something did not sit right with me. I grabbed my phone, quickly dialing Matteo's number. 

"Yes Capo?"

"Did we ever find the foster records?" I asked and I heard him hum.

"Yes. I can email them to you." I heard clicking away before I got a notification on my computer. I hung up the phone and clicked on the email. I looked down, reading it over and over again, trying to find something that I could kill her for, but there was nothing. Instead there were just more leads, to more people.

Yomar Rodriguez.

Abu Issac.

I was about to text Matteo but it was almost like he read my mind. I had another email coming through of their background checks. It was completely normal. Everything about them was completely normal. All of them. Something was wrong about Jess, and I had a very strong intention of finding it out. Whatever it was.

I was closing my computer when I heard a scream. I grabbed my gun from the drawer beside me and I jumped up. I saw Matteo doing the same. He came out of his room in his sweatpants and no shirt. We ran towards the noise, stopping at Jessica's room. I pushed the door open, holding my gun out.

"Get off of me!" She screamed, pushing one of my guards.

"Be quiet! She's going to kill me if I don't bring you-" I shot up at the ceiling, causing the man to freeze and turn to face me. I looked at Jess and she had her hand on her heart, trying to catch her breath. The tears poured down her face as she ran over to me. She tucked her body into my side, crying. I wrapped my arm around her waist, and I heard more footsteps run into the room.

"Take him to the basement, and kill him." I spit, before I saw people grab him and drag him out of the room.

"Out." I said to everyone else. They looked at me with  a confused expression.

"I said get the fuck out!" I yelled, holding my gun up to them. They all walked out of the room in swiftness, leaving Jess crying in my arms.

"What happened?" I demanded, lifting my arm off of her and pushing her away from me. I needed space, I felt like I was suffocating. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Her scent was so intoxicating and I hated it.

"He barged in here, and t-tried to hurt me." She stuttered, and I realized that she only ever stuttered when she was terrified. I held my gun out to her. Her eyes widened as she looked down at the gold piece of metal. She took a step back and I let out a deep breath before walking towards her. I shoved the gun in her hand, and held it up.

"That's the safety. You take it off and you're able to shoot, but without it on, you can't." I spoke as I ran my fingers over the safety. One of my hands rested on her hip, the other was trailing the gun.

"The trigger, you pull it, and shoot someone." I put my finger over hers on the trigger and pressed it. The shot rang out, shooting the wall. I didn't care, she needed to learn. She had to know how to shoot a gun and protect herself, I can't always protect her. I clicked the safety, dropping my hands away from her whilst she turned around to face me. She held the gun in her hands, her hands now shaking. She was probably scared. She lifted the gold gun up to me and I shook my head.

"Keep it." I watched her study it, my name was engraved in the side, just like almost everything.

"Thank you." She whispered, looking at it like it was the coolest thing that she's ever gotten.

"Yes, now go to bed." I said, turning my back and opening the door.

"What if someone comes in here?" She asked me in a panicked manner.

"They won't." I gritted out, stepping outside her door and standing there. Matteo looked at me with a confused expression and I took a deep breath.

"Get me one of my guns." I said, leaning against the wall.

I would stand here all night if I had to.