Chapter Twenty-One

And if I may just take your breath away
I don't mind if there's not much to say
- The Neighbourhood

~ Midas ~

It's been two weeks since I last heard from Aurora. One week since I've heard from Alexander. I'm pacing back and forth in her bedroom. The smell of strawberries was quickly fading, and as much as I tried to make it smell like her, it just wasn't the same. My all black suit hugged my body. The gold rings littered my hands, the gold chain hung from my neck. I had my usual bracelet and watch on.

"Capo, are you almost ready?" Leo said, walking into the room. I scowled at him, quickly pushing him out and closing the door behind me. He stared at me with confusion before I patted myself down to make sure I had my wallet, keys, and gun.

"I'm ready." I grumbled. I've been in a bad mood for a week now. We haven't heard from Matt, Alexander has gone off the grid. He normally does that when he's looking for people but it's just all too much. We walked downstairs and I looked at everyone. Matteo and Josie were standing there with smiles on their faces. Aurora's brothers all sat on the couch, playing some video game and eating food.

"Well don't you look nice?" D'Angelo said, and I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks." I said, gritting my teeth. The room suddenly filled with tension and I looked around.

"Did I just hear that right?" Matteo said, a smile forming on his face.

"What?" I looked at him with a confused expression, but Josie and Leo were also looking at me shocked.

"You just said thank you!" Leo shouted and I felt myself freeze.

"No I didn't!" I spoke harshly, looking at Leo and narrowing my eyes.

"You totally did, but it's okay, I won't tell anyone." D'Angelo said with a smile. Everyone in the room laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Let's go." I grumbled, heading towards the garage.

"Good luck!" I heard Josie yell and I rolled my eyes.

"Have fun!" Matteo yelled afterward before the group started laughing. Leo and I were the only people allowed to go to the ball. I could've taken Josie as my date, but Matteo wouldn't be able to go because Leo apparently had a date lined up already.

I grabbed my keys that dangled from the wall. Leo looked at me and grabbed his own. We walked over and I sat on my bike. I haven't driven it since Aurora did. I could imagine her tiny hands gripping the handlebars, the smile on her face as she drove away from me that first night at the fight. I put my helmet on, seeing the lipstick marks on the inside and chuckled. I twisted my key in the starter and listened as it fired up. It would never get old. Leo did the same before we both kicked up our kickstands and drove out of the garage.

The wind hit me, causing my suit jacket to blow around. I clenched my jaw, flexing my hands as best as I could before we got onto the highway to go deeper into the city. The rush of adrenaline soared through my veins causing me to push into a higher gear and weave in and out of traffic. Leo followed close behind, not letting me get too far ahead. I looked back and he waved at me, wiggling his fingers. When we parked in the big lot, I stared up at the building. I took my helmet off as I kicked down the kickstand. I turned my bike off and looked at Leo who parked next to me and did the same. I left my helmet on the bike after I got off.

"Are you ready for this, Capo?" Leo asked and I nodded, my face a void of any emotions. We walked side by side, Leo a little bit behind me, but I could still see him in my peripheral vision. We stopped at the guards and they opened the doors. I looked ahead at the announcer and tightened my golden cuff links. Leo gave him our names before we neared the top of the steps.

"Midas Rosso and Leonardo Finch." Leo cringed, but quickly gained his composure as we walked down the steps. People clapped for us, and I watched as many people stared at us as our feet hit the marble floor.

"Mr. Rosso. Pleasure to see you again." Trey, the leader of the American mafia said as he smiled.

"The pleasure is all mine. Where is that wife of yours, I don't want her threatening to rip my head off again." I said, and he chuckled.

"Don't worry. She had the baby a while ago, she's no longer a scary pregnant woman." He said, clutching his chest as he glanced around.

"There she is." He said, a soft smile rose on his face as his wife, Selina, walked over to us. Her long black hair, and her bright blue eyes always made her stand out in the crowd. She was pretty, but nowhere near as Aurora- what the hell am I thinking?

"Mr. Rosso! It's so good to see you, luckily, I'm not going to tear you limb from limb today." She shook my hand gracefully and I held back a laugh.

"That's great news!" I said, before excusing myself to find wherever Leo wandered off. I stood next to him at the bar, and he gave me a smile.

"Whiskey, neat." I said, looking at the bartender who nodded. The glass cup was placed down in front of me and I grabbed it, turning around and leaning against the bar.

"Mr. Rosso." I heard the woman's voice say as I swallowed the liquid that burned on the way down. I stood up straighter and Leo's eyes widened.

"Kelly Malone." I said, clenching my jaw.

"I want to apologize. I had no clue you were trying to keep Aurora all to yourself to torture." She said, shaking her head and sighing.

"I would've given you more time with her if I knew that was the case." The small smirk appeared on her face and I felt my stomach drop. Me? Hurt Aurora? What the fuck is this woman on about. I was about to open my mouth to speak before she walked away quickly. The announcer came on and I rolled my eyes.

"Aurora and Blake Petrova." The announcer called, and suddenly I felt like I was frozen in place. Leo looked at me, and then quickly up at the top of the staircase. Blake stood there, a wicked grin on his face before I watched a shorter brunette girl walk beside him. The first thing I noticed as she walked down the steps was the golden dress that she was wearing. It was strapless and sparkly, holding her curves in all of the perfect places. Her hair was down in her nature curls, and he had on natural makeup.

I had to push away the thoughts that threatened to invade my mind as I stared at her. Her eyes were alluring, her skin was glowing. She looked like a shining star. My heart was racing and I felt the familiar feeling that I missed so much. I pushed the feeling deeper, it was nothing more than sexual attraction and missing her voice.

Right?

"Don't live in denial, brother." Leo said, patting my back and I looked at him with a confused expression.

"What?" I spoke, my mouth still hung open as I listened to her heels click against the floor as she walked. She walked like she was scared, or that she was in pain. I studied her, and watched her. At least I know she's alive.

"I can see it in your eyes. You cant fool anyone. Your falling in love with Jessica Fields." I smacked his chest, not peeling my eyes away from her.

"Aurora. Her name is Aurora, so use it." I said, throwing back the rest of the liquor and placing it back on the bar.

"Now if you'll excuse me, I have to be a mafia boss, not a boy who sits there staring at women." I said as I looked at him as he stared at some girl.

"He's so whipped." I heard him mutter as I walked away.