Chapter Five

I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife
- Hozier

~ Midas ~

"She's in the basement, Capo." Leo bowed his head in respect and I nodded.

"Did she say anything of interest?" I asked, as we walked down the stairs into the basement.

"Her name is Jessica." Leo said, staring at the girl. I undid my cufflinks and took off my suit jacket before unbuttoning a couple buttons from my shirt.

"What a load of shit." I looked directly at Leo and he stood on the other side of the metal bars while I stood inside.

"Wake up." I pushed her with my foot, cringing at the way her body was falling limp.

"What do you want?" She looked scared. Her body trembled as she stared up at me. I stared into her eyes. One bright green, the other bright blue. I was almost starstruck by them. A sight I've never seen before that reeked of too much innocence.

"Who are you?" I asked, leaning down on her level. Her eyes traveled around my face like she was trying to memorize everything about it. The blood ran down her lip, to her chin, and her neck. Her hair was messy, the tank top she was wearing was see through. The innocence made me want to gouge her eyes out and torture her, but it also drew me in like a magnet.

"J- Jessica." She stuttered, fear taking over her expressions.

"We have a lot to talk about, Jessica." Her name was a sour taste on my tongue.

"If that's even your real name." I snapped my fingers and Matteo brought a chair in. I sat down in front of her, spreading my legs slightly, and leaning my elbows on my thighs as I looked down at her. Her tan skin was shining in the darkness, and something about her was so... annoying. Sitting in front of her just pushed my buttons.

"What do you want from me?" She practically whispered and I felt an overwhelming sense of pride.

"I want you to tell me everything you know about your Boss, and then I want you to tell me why you stole my bike-"

"You took my car!" She exclaimed angrily like a switch flipped, before she backed against the wall and looked like a frightened doll once again.

"For good reason, Bellissima." Her face coiled in disgust as she looked up at me, but her eyes said otherwise as they trailed my body.

"Who are you." I asked again, more demanding.

"Jessica Fields." She breathed out like she was scared of telling me.

"How old are you?" I asked, going down the list to make sure everything matches up.

"I'm twenty one." The tears welled in her eyes and I scoffed.

"Any family?" The tears fell from her eyes, and she tried to bring her hands up to wipe them but they were chained to the wall.

"N-no. They are dead." She sobbed, pulling at the chains.

"Relax." I said, tone cold causing her to look up at me and quickly nod, the tears still running down her face.

"Where are you from?" I asked, looking at her tan skin, hearing her accent.

"Spain, Sir." She looked at me through her long thick eyelashes and I hated the way she was looking at me.

"Don't call me sir." I narrowed my eyes at her as she quickly nodded.

"Why are you in America if you are from Spain?" I questioned, the story not adding up.

"Mother was originally from- America, and she was on a trip when she met my father. She spent the whole trip learning about him and the cultural difference between Spain and America." She breathed out, and I usher for her to continue.

"She fell pregnant with me, and decided to stay in Spain with my father. My father however, did not want a child, and they were fighting about it all of the time. When my mother went into labor, my father was driving her to the hospital when they collided with another car, killing my father almost instantly, and leaving my mother to give birth to me, and pass away. Which left me, alone." Her eyes were glossy, the tears stained her face, and the guilt looked like it was eating her alive.

"Any siblings?"

"No." She pinched her eyes shut, and tears streamed down her face.

"I was adopted and taken to America, where I decided to stay. Spain would remind me too much of my parents." I held a death grip onto the knife that was in my hands. I twirled it around my fingers and looked at the girl in front of me.

"What were you doing with D'Angelo Austin?" I lifted my gaze to meet hers and I saw a flash of hurt cloud her eyes.

"He's a friend." She spoke quietly, looking down at the ground.

"I met him in foster care when I was around sixteen." I make a mental note to check the foster care records.

"Now onto your boss." I stood up from my seat and leaned down on her level once more.

"I already know it's going to be hard for you to speak. Ace must've conditioned you to be loyal to him." I ran the knife down her face, and across her jaw. Her eyes lit up almost by the sudden touch, but it was quickly masked by fear.

"How did you start working with him?" The goosebumps appeared on her skin as I dragged the knife down her neck, and her arm.

"I-"

"Answer the question, sweetheart." I put the flat part of the knife against her chin and lifted her head to look at mine.

"He-" The tears poured from her eyes again.

"He's forcing me to work for him. He said that if I don't he will ruin me." She sobbed, her chained arms reaching to grab me.

"He threatens my friends, my life, my money!" She exclaimed as the tears ran from her eyes.
I brought the knife up to her face, wiping the tears away and staring at the water on the knife. She looked at me like I was crazy, and she had no clue who the fuck was kneeling in front of her.

"He kidnapped D'Angelo, and that's why- that's why I was running. He works for the Irish and Russians." She hiccuped, and I stared into her eyes.

"What's his name?"

"I- I don't know. He only goes by Ace!" She exclaimed, staring at the knife in my hands. I was trying to find a lie. A lie in this girl's sea of despair. Everything seemed too good to be true. What she was saying had to be a lie, right? I clenched my jaw and stood up.

"Please- please let me go. Don't leave me here. I'm sorry about your bike." She cried, as I kept my back facing away from her. I rolled my eyes, walking out of the cell and closing the door. Leo looked at me with a questioning gaze as I walked up the stairs and towards my office.

"Matteo I want everything you can find on D'Angelo Austin, the Russian and Irish Mafia." Matteo looked at me with a questioning gaze.

"The Russians and Irish are far from partners, Capo." I clenched my jaw and spun around in my chair to face him.

"I'm not so sure of that anymore."