𓆗 𝐦𝐚𝐭𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐨 𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐥𝐞 - 𝐫𝐞𝐥𝐚𝐩𝐬𝐞

(TW: S/H)•• •••

(TW: S/H)

"Don't do that." Mattheo grabbed both of her hands in one of his, his fingers clasping around her wrists. Hastily he removed the small shard of glass from between her fingers. He hurled it out the bathroom window, her hands still locked in his grasp. Mattheo forced his brown gaze to her to avoid looking at the silvery scar tissue on her forearms. The scars may have been old, part of her past, but they still pained him to look at.

His throat worked as he swallowed, "Don't. We agreed you'd speak to me when you felt like you were going to relapse." He murmured, composed. Or so it seemed; his eyes and the way his lips were pressed together in a thin line betrayed his distress.

She broke down into a sob. "I-I'm sorry. I just.. I can't do it anymore." She managed to speak through her cries, her body full of hurt and betrayal.

He released her wrists from his tightening grasp, bringing her into an embrace that was too tight to be possible. Although the scars were old — as evident by dark and smooth scar tissue — Mattheo still shuddered. He took a sharp breath. She wasn't supposed to let it get this bad again.

"I know." He replied calmly. "Shh." He muttered. "Please don't cry.."

She gripped onto his shoulders as if she was afraid he would disappear. Her tears soaked his black t-shirt quickly.

"Shh, it's okay." He mumbled softly into her hair as he tightened his embrace. He felt her grip as her fingers wrapped around his shoulders, nails digging into his back.

Mattheo breathed unevenly as he listened to the sobs wracking her small frame. "Shh, it's okay." He repeated, rocking back and forth as the sobs continued. He ran a soothing hand across her back, though his own breathing continued to quicken.

Her body felt weaker with every cry. She felt as though her knees would give out on her. She continued to cry, however she started to calm down in his hold.

He continued to embrace her, the sobs gradually dying down until only soft sniffles and wheezes could be heard. He breathed in the scent of her shampoo, which had a smell he couldn't quite remember.

As the noises of her crying faded, he continued to hold her tight to his chest. He stroked the curve of her neck with his other hand, trying to soothe her. "I'm right here." He murmured quietly.

Eventually, with some time, her cries stopped completely. Her grip on him remained tight as she took in the sound of his heartbeat. Her breathing stayed heavy with every second passing by.

Mattheo was grateful for the silence, though his breath still came sharp as he continued hugging her. He felt the weight of her against his chest and the heat of her breath against his neck, which only grew stronger with her every inhale.

For several moments, he just continued to hold her without a word, wanting to give her as much comfort as he could.

Finally, he spoke, "Are you feeling better?"

She took a minute to breathe in his scent, his realism. She simply nodded, afraid that her voice would betray her.

"Good." He breathed, continuing to hold her close. He felt her slight nod and relaxed as he listened to her uneven breathing. Mattheo let out a small sigh, which seemed to have taken a weight off of him as well.

"Promise me." He began cautiously, his voice low. "Promise me you won't hurt yourself anymore. I can't have you do something like this again."

She stayed in his grip as she leaned her head back slightly to look into his eyes, "I thought you left me." That was a fact. Mattheo had disappeared a few days ago to have a talk with his father. Usually, he is back within a few hours but that wasn't the case this time around. She had thought something terrible had happened.

Mattheo's heart beat sharply at the words that had left her lips. His eyes locked on her face, which continued to gaze at his in equal silence for several seconds.

His lips were pressed together in a straight line, but as his grip softened, he couldn't help his breath from hitching. "Never." His voice was barely above a whisper. And after speaking the single word, he just kept his eyes fixed on hers.

She tried to give him a weak smile but failed in the process.

His lips softened at the sight of hers, despite her failed attempt at smiling. He brought his hands up to cup her cheeks, gently brushing away an errant tear.

"Don't ever think that." He murmured softly. "I'd never leave you."

She placed her hands over his softly as she stared into his eyes lovingly. "I love you."

His heart skipped a beat as she spoke the words he had wanted to hear for some time now. He felt her tender grip, hands holding his own, as her eyes locked onto his.

"I love you too."