Chapter 1

June 1, 1963, 03:00

Imperial Capital Tokyo

The streets of Tokyo are usually bustling places with neon tubes shining brightly even late at night. This city, a symbol of the Japanese Empire that leads Asia's greatest economic power, was quiet for the first time in a long time. Most of the izakaya around Shinjuku Station, which should have been bustling with activity, were closed, and in the ones that were still open, businessmen were drinking sake feverishly.

"Damn it, this is the end of the zaibatsu... I can't believe it turned out this badly..."

"Hahaha... the company is done for... the one related to materials for Shōnan is also going bankrupt in a chain reaction..."

"...Will I get severance pay from the company tomorrow?"

"If there is a company, they might... Oyaji, can I have some tsukune and another glass of cold sake?"

"Brothers, I know it's hard, but drinking too much is poisonous to your body..."

"Aah... how did this happen..."

The owner, feeling sorry for them, continued to serve alcohol to the salarymen. At least they could escape into alcohol for a while longer.

One of the four major zaibatsu conglomerates that led the economy of the Japanese Empire, the Yasuda Zaibatsu, which had particularly significant interests in the Chinese mainland and Southeast Asian countries acquired after the Pacific War, was deeply involved in a corruption scandal and murder case that had been exposed.

"It's not just the Yasuda Zaibatsu. High-ranking officers in the Army and Navy, military police, the Prime Minister, and his ministers who are all involved in a series of corruption cases, there is solid evidence related to these corruption cases stored here!"

Moreover, these facts, broadcast simultaneously not only in Japan but throughout the entire Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere via NHK public broadcasting, led to a sudden revelation of the names of those involved in the corruption by all media outlets. These people were involved in the foundation of the nation, including politics, economics, and the military of the empire, and even the Prime Minister was implicated. Famous admirals and officers of the Army and Navy were also receiving undue benefits, resulting in enormous profits.

The announcement that the money extorted from Southeast Asian countries was further exploited by unjust means was sufficient to instill fear and anger in the people. The day after the corruption scandal was disclosed, sell orders flooded the Tokyo Stock Exchange from the opening of trading in the early morning, and the stock price of the Yasuda Zaibatsu plummeted.

"Please, sell them! Let me sell Yasuda's stocks!"

"Sell everything! I'll do it for money, so prioritize me!"

"Oh, no! It's going down!"

"Sell! Just sell while it still holds some value!"

Due to the massive stock market crash, trading at the Tokyo Stock Exchange came to a halt.

In Tokyo, many investors and salarymen, in despair, jumped in front of trains or attempted suicide by jumping off buildings, resulting in numerous casualties. Especially from the buildings of securities companies towering over Kasumigaseki and elsewhere, so many people jumped to their deaths within an hour that the Japanese economy was already suffering direct consequences. The government was making frantic efforts to respond.

The conglomerates are finished...

Amidst such voices, there was a momentary phenomenon of light in the Japanese sky. Because it happened in the dead of night, most citizens did not witness the phenomenon. The only ones who saw it were the nighttime security guards, police officers on night duty, and salarymen who had been struggling to handle the economic crisis caused by the Yasuda Zaibatsu, which had been leading the economy of the GEACPS until now.

"Hey, did the sky just light up?"

"Yeah... it was like a flash from a camera for a moment..."

"Could it be military flares? No, it was too bright for that..."

"Maybe it was a meteor from a meteor shower?"

"Yeah... probably... Well, let's get back to work."

While feeling that the momentarily brightened sky was eerie, they immediately returned to their duties.

It was the same in the izakaya.

"What was that all about...? Well, brothers, it's time to close up, so please settle your bills and head home!"

"Ugh... I can still drink more..."

"But we can't stay open forever... Oyaji, I'll handle the bill."

As the izakaya owner was about to close up and the salarymen, who had been complaining while drinking, were about to settle their bills, news of an ominous accident came from the radio installed in the shop.

"Eh, we're on the air now, but... this is breaking news? Yes, I understand...... We are in the middle of the program, but here is some breaking news. The express train Tairiku 2 from Hakata to Busan, which was running in the Japan-Korea Tunnel, has just turned back in a hurry due to a situation where a large amount of seawater is pouring into the tunnel. JNR has reported the situation to the National Transportation Safety Board and will launch an investigation. In addition, there is currently no contact regarding the Hakata from Busan to Hakata..."

An ill omen.

Summoning Japan × The New Order: Last Days of EuropeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara