Chapter 49

September 5, 1963 / Year 1639 Central Calendar, 10:00

First Foreign Affairs Bureau, Parpaldia Empire

Usually, it's rare for officials from different Foreign Affairs Bureaus to hold meetings with each other. Each ministry and government agency are constantly trying to undermine the other or engage in power struggles to advance themselves. It's not an exaggeration to call it a game of politics. Ever since the days of the Republic of Parneus, before the expansion into the Parpaldia Empire, the struggle for dominance on the continent has been crucial. The result has been an emphasis on power struggles, leading to rampant corruption and political decay.

In such circumstances, Elto, the director of the First Foreign Affairs Bureau and renowned for her beauty, and Kaios, the director of the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau, were holding a meeting with several documents.

Kaios' face was anything but calm. His eyes were filled with determination to somehow save the crumbling empire from ruin. Despite being demoted to the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau after losing a power struggle, he couldn't afford to dwell on past grievances or power struggles.

Elto, too, understood the gravity of the situation, especially when her former superior, Kaios, came to her with documents regarding the Japanese Empire, which had come to provoke the Third Foreign Affairs Bureau.

In the internal power struggles of the ministries, reporting these documents to the Emperor would undoubtedly lead to a high likelihood of promotion. However, the fact that Kaios personally came to Elto's office instead of taking that route indicates to her that a major problem has arisen. Kaios has brought a stack of documents with him, relying on his subordinates, Thal and Barco, to carry them.

"Kaios... what in the world is going on?"

"Oh, Elto... this matter is something I alone cannot handle. They are undoubtedly monsters on the same level as the Sorcerous Empire..."

"S-Sorcerous...? Please spare me the jokes... did you come here to talk about fairy tales?"

"...I didn't believe it either until I spoke with their diplomats... but you should understand once you see this..."

The first thing Kaios handed over was several photographs.

They depicted the atrocities committed by the Lourians following the massacre in Gim shown to Kaios by Japanese diplomats. Though in black and white, the meticulously captured images made even Elto flinch.

The problem, however, lay in the source of these photographs.

"These are not photographs taken with magical contraptions; they were taken in the Principality of Qua-Toyne using something else... They have managed to create machinery similar to those in the Second Civilization Area like Mu with their own hands."

"Huh... These weren't made in Mu!? Is that true?"

"Yes... They seem to have come from another planet... It was unbelievable, but the Japanese Empire was the third-largest military and economic power on that planet..."

"But there was never supposed to be such a country in the Third Civilization Area..."

"It seems their mainland appeared here about three months ago... it seems that there are multiple dependent territories and vassal states, but still there are over 100 million people living on their mainland."

"A... a hundred million? Even in our country, there are only seventy million!"

"...As evidence, diplomats from Japan sent several photographs and videos..."

"Videos...? Could it be that the equipment your subordinates brought..."

"...The Japanese said they would lend it for persuasion... Like Mu, who doesn't use magic, it's a product of Japan's non-magical civilization..."

Kaios presented Elto with evidence of Japan's status as a major power, including photographs of several cities and a film projector. These were lent to Kaios by Asada, with permission from the Japanese government. However, it was not entirely free; a significant sum had to be paid.

Through this paid lending, Elto was inundated with the culmination of Japan's mechanical civilization, showcasing Tokyo, Nagoya's industrial zone, and Hiroshima's shipyards. In scenes showing multiple cities and industrial zones, not only were throngs of people bustling through the cities, but cars, which were in practical use in Mu, were buzzing like ants along the city's roads. As Asada explained, Japan became a superpower allowed by the victorious powers of the World War seventeen years ago, encompassing the planet in a world war and becoming the ruler of Asia.

Elto could understand that Kaios wasn't lying. However, she couldn't fathom why it was similar to the Sorcerous Empire.

"Kaios, I understand that the Japanese Empire possesses power equivalent to a major power like Mu. But why did you say it's the same as the Sorcerous Empire?"

"You'll understand when you see this... But can you promise not to tell His Majesty about this yet?"

"...Alright, show me..."

Kaios retrieved the film enclosed in a heavy box.

The film read in Japanese, 'Navy Jurisdiction Film, Fiscal Year 1956, Off Bikini Atoll, Thermonuclear Test Footage.' Kaios carefully set the film in the projector and began projecting the images onto the wall of the director's office...

There's no turning back now.