Chapter 10

June 4, 1963, 09:00

Tokyo

Prime Minister Takagi, having received a report from Tanaka who was in the Principality of Qua-Toyne as a diplomatic representative, instructed to prepare for the approval process towards the formal establishment of diplomatic channels with Qua-Toyne.

Using the naval long-distance communication line from the Prime Minister's office, he made direct contact with Tanaka through military radio installed on the YH-6 transport helicopter, which remained landed in the capital of Qua-Toyne via Yokosuka, Nagoya, Kure, Sasebo, and Okinawa.

This was an extremely unorthodox method, but due to the destruction of Japan's few artificial satellite networks along with the disappearance of superpowers like the United States and Germany, there was no longer a need to fear interception.

"Then, is it proposed to settle the matter of shooting down the Army plane?"

"Yes. The Army is furious, but in negotiating with a nation that possesses vast food resources, even they need to make some concessions. Regarding the shooting down incident, it has settled on proposing a settlement by imposing economic responsibilities when importing food."

There were opinions within the Army that Qua-Toyne might have conducted a live ammunition attack instead of warning shots. However, even if it was an accident to hit the aircraft while in the process of issuing a warning shot, there is distrust within the Army towards Qua-Toyne.

In particular, opinions such as "It's strange not to hold them accountable despite admitting to the attack" from generals like Mutō, *1 who also has a certain influence within the Army, have reached Takagi through the Army Ministry. While it might be pointing out the leniency towards Takagi, who comes from a Navy background, Takagi persuaded the Army considering that causing a military conflict would also increase Japan's losses.

"I see... So, when Qua-Toyne requests military support in return for food, it seems it will be agreed to provide weapons and equipment as paid support?"

"That's right. Regarding military support, there are still plenty of outdated weapons that were used as targets for target practice during the previous war. If there's a need to decide on some goods in return for military support, we can sell them, including disposing of the domestic inventory. It will be a settlement, and there will be no loss for either party."

It has been 17 years since the end of the Pacific War, but there are still weapons and equipment used in the war stored in military warehouses. Bolt-action rifles like the Type 99 and Type 5 rifles are still active domestically as second-class weapons and are used for reserve training. Chi-Ha tanks and fighters such as the Zero and Hayabusa, despite being surplus weapons and equipment of the post-war era, are still being used domestically and internationally by the Chinese army and the Manchurian army's security forces. Weapons and equipment from the Pacific War era have been used for a long time both domestically and internationally. Even for surplus weapons and equipment disposed of by the military, if they have the potential to overturn the military balance in this world, there's no reason not to use them.

In the case of military support, if the military agrees to use disposable weapons and equipment, as long as they are within Japan's sphere of influence...

"I understand... Oh, and one more thing, Prime Minister Takagi, I would like to confirm the situation of the separate unit responsible for the Kingdom of Quila, where oil resources are said to be gushing."

"There is no problem there. The Eastern Agency *2 has already intervened in Quila. There have been no conflicts with Quila, so we should be able to obtain oil drilling rights and other rights by the 10th at the earliest."

"I see... Understood. Then, I will definitely fulfill my duty in negotiations with Qua-Toyne."

"Yes, I hope you do your best, but don't overdo it, Tanaka-kun."

"Thank you very much. Then, I will contact you again as soon as negotiations are concluded."

The information Takagi obtained was relatively promising. While there could have been engagement with Qua-Toyne, fortunately, the head of their government made a wise decision, which for now averted the crisis of military conflict. However, negotiations are yet to begin, so it's too early to make assumptions.

Takagi has a lot of work to do. The domestic economic situation is deteriorating day by day, and issues regarding fuel have already been raised due to the effects of the transition.

Takagi adjusted his glasses and prepared to tackle the problems at hand.

Reforms are set in motion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes

*1: A Tōseiha general who, in OTL was sentenced to death at the Tokyo Trials for commanding battles in mainland China and the Philippines. However, in the TNO world, he is alive as one of the generals who contributed to the end of the Sino-Japanese War. In the event of a game over in a Japan playthrough, an event called "Bloody Shōwa Restoration," where Mutō leads the military radicals in a coup, is prepared. He's buddies with the Devil of Shōwa.

*2: A counter-American intelligence agency established by Japan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs during World War II. In history, they achieved successes in gathering information such as the atomic bomb development plans, but Japan, which disregarded their information, couldn't capitalize on it. In the TNO world, they continue to collect information, mainly focusing on American public opinion.