Chapter 11

June 4, 1963, 14:00

Political Council, Principality of Qua-Toyne

"Prime Minister, we must refuse this demand from the Japanese side! To think they would make such demands in exchange for a military alliance..."

"Even considering the economic situation on their side, this is beyond what we can tolerate..."

"Prime Minister! This must not be agreed upon under any circumstances!"

In the Political Council meeting held in the Lotus Garden, discussions were in disarray. A military alliance with the powerful Japanese Empire was certainly attractive, and for the Principality of Qua-Toyne, which was under military pressure from the Kingdom of Louria, the process of concluding such an alliance was inevitably underway.

However, the discord in the council was not about the military alliance with Japan, but rather about the economic quid pro quo they had demanded.

The granary lands of Qua-Toyne were blessed with such unique soil that they were free from diseases and pests, often called the blessing of the goddess. Even without cultivation, crops would grow in this dream-like soil.

Regarding this soil, Japan had proposed that in return for the military alliance and military support, Qua-Toyne would cede 25% of its granary lands to Japan's territory.

Japan would prioritize exporting military power, weapons, and equipment to Qua-Toyne and provide full backup for deployment. Yet, even with these terms, the condition to hand over their own territory—especially the granary lands—as compensation was akin to an act of concession by a victorious nation.

Although it could be perceived as resentment for the recent incident of their reconnaissance plane being shot down, even a form of coercion, Japan had its own unavoidable circumstances.

Firstly, Japan in this world had won the Pacific War and had been supplied with food imported from within the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

By importing cheaper agricultural products from within the GEACPS rather than domestically producing them, and by industrializing domestically to increase production efficiency, Japan's agricultural production was below OTL levels.

Moreover, Japan had not experienced the brunt of major city bombings like the Tokyo firebombing or the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Consequently, during the Pacific War, civilian casualties within Japan were minimal, mostly limited to crew members of civilian transport ships.

With most of the population believing in the victory of the war, the Japanese military was seen as unparalleled like those in myths, and the country was perceived as secure. Under this recognition, the government implemented policies prioritizing industry over agriculture.

Factories owned by various zaibatsu lined up, and urban areas became polluted with air contaminated by photochemical smog, resulting in definite health hazards.

However, even with such damages, no one stopped the flow of promoting the Japanese economy, especially considering the concrete economic benefits it brought.

As a result, the Japanese archipelago, already surpassing a total population of 100 million, relied heavily on Manchuria and the Republic of China to provide food to meet the needs of its populace...

There was not enough land within Japan to feed the 100 million people, no matter how much land was cultivated, the remaining space was limited. Therefore, they set their sights on Qua-Toyne.

Considering the vast food situation of Qua-Toyne, and realizing that immediate access to food was crucial to prevent citizens from starving, the majority opinion was to take action, even if it involved some degree of coercion, to secure food.

Not only the government but also the citizens and military shared similar sentiments, with some journalists even advocating that stealing to survive was a virtue for the Japanese Empire's survival.

This concession to the highly agitated domestic public opinion, not just the Ministry of the Army but also the Ministry of Land, Transport, and Communications, and the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, resulted in adopting the condition proposed by the diplomats, calculating the area of land that the other side would find acceptable and presenting it as a ratio of land area that would suffice to prevent hunger among Japanese citizens, set at 25%, and leaving it to Tanaka, a diplomat, to negotiate.

"Prime Minister, we should immediately detain that diplomat Tanaka if necessary and expel the Japanese!"

"Not only did they bring about a great disaster by dropping a dragon on our country, but also demanding such conditions is absolutely unacceptable!"

Nearly half of the members of the Political Council opposed the military alliance with Japan, yet for the Prime Minister, this was a decision he had to make with a heavy heart. Suppressing the discomfort rising from his aching stomach, Kanata persuaded the members of the Political Council.

"I certainly agree that this treaty is unequal and regrettable... However, with signs of military action from the Kingdom of Louria, we must secure as many allies as possible."

"But... even so, this is nothing short of coercive diplomacy practiced by the major powers like Parpaldia! It's outrageous for them to demand such acts equivalent to territorial concessions..."

"Even so... if we don't accept this treaty, our country will perish one way or another...! If enduring temporary humiliation can gain us overwhelming military power, then we must endure that humiliation and duty!"

"Prime Minister Kanata..."

"Let's work with the Foreign Minister to see if we can adjust it down to at least 22 percent from 25 percent..."

Prime Minister Kanata decided to call Tanaka to the meeting and proceed with the process of forming the alliance.

External pressure.