Chapter 15

June 11, 1963, 19:00

Hakata, Japanese Empire

Diplomats from the Principality of Qua-Toyne were dispatched, but they were astonished by the overwhelming number of structures of the Japanese Empire.

After boarding the passenger ship arranged by the Japanese, they arrived in Hakata at a speed faster than sailing ships. They immediately witnessed the towering buildings, even in a provincial city, surpassing those of the capital, and observed the bustling crowds. They were immediately confronted with the formidable national power of a major power.

"On a passenger ship, yet arrived from Maihark in two days... to possess such high-rise buildings, what is this civilization..."

"I heard from Mr. Tanaka that this city used to have an underwater tunnel network connecting the continent once known as the Korean Peninsula, so it was quite lively."

"Even now, it's developed enough... my, I can't even imagine what it would be like to inspect a military base in this."

Diplomats Yagou and Hanki, after witnessing Japan's impressive technological power, discussed in the hotel lobby how to conduct military negotiations.

"Mr. Yagou... Japan's somewhat intimidating response is understandable, given its overwhelming national power..."

"Yes, there were several ships made of iron docked in the port, and vehicles made of iron were traveling on the roads... without a doubt, this is a major power surpassing the Parpaldia Empire."

"So, does this mean that Prime Minister Kanata's somewhat soft stance, criticized by some, was not wrong?"

"It seems so... with such technological power, and a nation using vehicles powered by iron. If we had responded poorly and angered the Japanese, our country would have been destroyed..."

"Although there was fault on our side regarding the shooting down of the iron wyvern, demanding territorial concessions might have been to appease public anger?"

"I can't say for sure, but in any case, this military negotiation must be conducted properly."

The outcome could either bear fruit or lead to ruin with just their actions. The pressure was immense, but it was already planned that the Japanese would showcase their military power by conducting inspections of the Army's tank division and the Navy's air base. Tanaka, stationed in the Qua-Toyne, was chosen as the guide because the Japanese government judged him suitable for understanding the situation there.

"Alright everyone, please get into this vehicle. We will now guide you to the Army base where the 3rd Tank Regiment is stationed."

"Mr. Tanaka, what is this black vehicle?"

"Oh, this is an automobile... a vehicle similar to the horse-drawn carriages you mentioned. Please rest assured, it's designed to accommodate everyone safely. Moreover, it's the latest vehicle from Hachibishi Automobiles. Now, please."

"Well then, let's head to the Army base..."

The automobile carrying the diplomats had a comfortable ride, equipped with pleasant air conditioning.

'What comfort, even compared to horse-drawn carriages... yet it can run so fast. What a convenient thing.'

'With both ships and this automobile... this seems to be a country where mechanical civilization has flourished.'

As they discussed vehicles while receiving the cool air from the air conditioning instead of the sultry outside air, what caught their eyes was the group of tanks stationed at the Army base.

'What... This is the vehicle called a tank that I saw in the documents... But what is its actual power...?'

The sight of these vehicles, forming a convoy with long tubes like magical cannons, was impressive. Upon arrival, they would receive baptism as part of their inspection of the army base.

"This is the latest Type 23 Chi-Wa tank developed by the Imperial Army. It is equipped with a Type 15 Kai 100-millimeter smoothbore gun and can destroy castle gates with a single blow."

"...Well then, let's begin shooting practice immediately. Please be careful of the sound of gunfire during the shooting."

The heavily equipped Type 23 tanks began shooting practice with their 100 mm guns. The sight of accurately hitting a target 800 meters away simultaneously with a thunderous roar was astonishing.

'What power is this...!!! Can just one of them perform an attack that even a great sorcerer takes time to accomplish!?'

'Mr. Yagou... This is terrifying...'

'There are more than 30 tanks just in this base... Then, I can't imagine how many there are on the Japanese mainland...'

The diplomats, witnessing the power of the tanks, felt their stomachs churn. The Japanese Empire deployed at least 100 of such powerful weapons, and including outdated tanks, there were over 1.000 deployed on the mainland.

'If this is on land, the situation in the sky will be even more formidable...'

Then, at the Japanese Navy's Tsuiki Air Base they visited after the Army base, they witnessed a demonstration flight of the Navy version of the Nakajima Aircraft, Ki-201 Karyū, which was deployed for homeland air defense, as well as ground attack mission training using 30 mm rocket pods.

'That's unlike the iron wyvern that crashed in Maihark... This is what an armed aircraft looks like...'

'What power! What speed...! With this, there's no way our country's wyverns can keep up, they would be helplessly shot down...'

Watching the aircraft strafe the ground with several shots similar to the tank's gunfire from earlier, Yagou and Hanki became convinced.

"Japan possesses weapons exceeding even great sorcerers, and if we were to anger this country, our nation lacks the military strength to confront a nation with overwhelming military power, and if war were to break out, the Principality of Qua-Toyne itself would collapse."

The diplomats realized how powerless their country was compared to this country's military might.