Chapter 14

June 8, 1963, 19:00

NHK Broadcasting Station, Tokyo

At 19:00, along with the chime signaling the hour, television broadcasting begins. Normally, NHK reports news from around the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere, centered around Tokyo. However, since the transference phenomenon, it has increasingly focused on domestic news... news from the mainland.

"Today, Prime Minister Takagi, considering the pressing food situation, has announced a policy to distribute food to impoverished households until supplies arrive from the Principality of Qua-Toyne. Additionally, it has been indicated that surplus aged rice stored domestically will be gradually released onto the market."

The NHK announcer reads the script with a detached expression. Initially, after the transference phenomenon was officially announced, the studio was quite chaotic.

Surrounding the military personnel explaining the transference phenomenon, there were inquiries about future actions, and speculation was rampant regarding the joint statement issued by the Army and Navy.

As a week passed, people began to calm down somewhat, learning to adapt. However, many staff members felt that while they had hoped the transference phenomenon would be temporary, given the current situation, they must prepare themselves for the possibility that this state of affairs may continue indefinitely.

"Considering the future situation, our country should serve as a model in this world under the framework of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere. Even if the name 'Greater East Asia' may no longer be applicable in this new world, the proud Japanese people, who once governed Asia, should establish order."

"I believe the current government, including Prime Minister Takagi, shares this view. According to information released by the military, there are rogue states willing to engage in military aggression against our country and our allies, the Principality of Qua-Toyne and the Kingdom of Quila."

"Specifically, the Kingdom of Louria attempted to surround our merchant ships with sailing vessels. Fortunately, our navy destroyers intervened to avert any serious consequences. However, if that nation attacks a state vital to our security..."

"At that time, we must calmly prepare for battle. Our country has the strength to emerge victorious, as evidenced by our victories in two World Wars. Through joint operations of the Army and Navy, action against the Kingdom of Louria is imperative."

In fact, the broadcast content was focused on examining the post-transference world, with various professors, literary figures, and writers invited as guests to discuss what actions the Japanese Empire should take. Many of these discussions were bellicose, with a former Army officer even advocating for the protection of nations gathering under the flag of the Japanese Empire and advocating for the establishment of a new alliance of nations under the banner of Hakkō Ichiu. *1

Among these guests was the renowned writer Mishima. *2 However, Mishima had a slightly different approach.

"In this unprecedented national crisis, I believe it is imperative to live with faith in the future. I've heard that in the Principality of Qua-Toyne and the Kingdom of Toyne, there are people different from us, the so-called 'demi-humans.' I believe we should establish friendly relations with them and accelerate exchanges."

As a literary figure, Mishima had been writing science fiction novels featuring extraterrestrial beings such as "Utsukushī Hoshi," (lit. "Beautiful Planet"). Considering the current transference phenomenon, he argued that the inhabitants of this planet were "aliens" compared to them who had been transferred in their entirety from the mainland. He expressed his desire for proactive engagement with them.

"Our country must set an example. While military control is still in place, when civilian exchanges eventually occur, we must engage in peaceful cultural exchanges to bridge the gap between us. Otherwise, if we force others into submission through intimidation, they will only reluctantly comply, and the dream of Hakkō Ichiu will remain just that—a dream."

In a live broadcast, his statement sparked controversy initially. However, Mishima's intent was not to criticize the military but to warn against the long-term repercussions of Japan's future actions if they resort to military coercion.

Mishima's warning reached the upper echelons of the government, prompting them to consider how to proceed with future civilian exchanges.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Notes

*1: A prewar slogan that was used to describe the ideal of the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere and the Emperor-centered rule of the Asian order, with the unification of Asia by the Yamato race... of the Japanese people.

*2: One of Japan's most influential literary figures in the postwar era, and still active in the TNO world as a writer. In Operation Twilight, an event in which World War III breaks out and Japan and Germany enter a state of war, a quote from his review, "An Introduction to Hagakure" is used to spell out the events of the war.