Chapter Sixteen

Sébastien paced back and forth across his study. He combed his mane with his claws. It had been a couple of hours since meeting Colette- the young woman who came to retrieve her father from his castle. He bristled with impatience as he waited for Niel.

The scent of lavender still lingered in his nostrils. He wondered if Colette's father was worth it. Worth walking into her possible death.

"Urgh!" Sébastien grunted, pushing away the horrid thought. He would control himself. He needed to control himself.

Sébastien looked out to the sky and found it sinking into a deep purple lake. Night had come quickly since Colette's arrival. He wondered if allowing her- them to stay here was safe. He suddenly regretted putting that old man in a cell. What was he thinking? If the wound didn't fester and kill him off, surely the cold would have. He had supplied him with a few measly blankets and a bed of hay, but he knew it was only to offer a small coin of comfort before death came knocking. Had it been so long that his humanity withered away?

Seeing Colette made him want to regain it, at least for the time being while they were guests in his home. For however long that would be, he did not know.

"Niel," he said, just as the butler strode into the study.

The butler's face was grim as he approached him. "Was the healer able to clean the wounds?"

Neil nodded. Relief fluttered in Sebastian's chest.

"How about his fever? Has it gone down?"

Neil shook his head. Sébastien stared down at the floor. A fever ment his body was still fighting the infection.

"What of the young woman, Colette? Is she still with her father?"

He nodded once more. Beatrice had gone straight to work on preparing a room for Colette and her father. She seemed eager to do it. We haven't had any guests in a very long time. The spare bed chambers had been occupied by moths and dust. Beatrice did her best to clear away most of the cobwebs and dead bugs. The bed sheets and blankets were still in good condition having been under linen sheets for all these years. At most they smelled ancient but remained intact. She even went to the trouble of finding some clothes for them both. A spare nightgown and for the girl and some trousers and a new shirt for her father.

"Good. Make sure her chamber door is fitted with a lock on the inside. Give no one else a spare key." He did not have to tell the butler, especially not him.

The butler gave Sebastian a knowing look before bidding him farewell.