Chapter Fourty-Eight

"Oh Colette, you look beautiful." Her father smiled tenderly from beside her in his chair.

She took his hand into hers and squeezed it gently. "Thank you, papa."

They made their way down the aisle between rows of pews where Gregorie awaited her. He stood galant at the foot of the altar. His hair was combed back into a low ponytail and he wore a dark brown jacket with embroidered flowers along the hem and collar. His matching vest was embroidered all over with the same delicate floral pattern and his trousers for once were clean and in pristine condition. The ivory shirt he wore beneath had a handsome collar that spilled out in cascading lace. He looked dapper and Colette's heart hammered away in her chest gazing at him.

Her gown was similar. A simple ivory silk fabric with embroidered flowers along the trim. Her bodice reflected his vest in the same manner of detail and her skirts were the palest of green. She felt hot in her sleeves even though the cool air from outside seeped into the small church.

The majority of his family filled the first couple of pews. Colette looked at their waiting faces. She smiled cheekishy at Gregories younger siblings who stood and waved at her eagerly between the pews.
Her father and mother did not have any remaining family members to attend the small ceremony.

Colette had prayed earlier that her mother would be present in spirit to watch her get married. She cried last night thinking about all the things her mother would miss. Things she would have to do alone.

The sad thought had her frowning and Gregorie noticed her sudden mood change. He looked at her with worried concern but she willed herself to smile again and his eyes softened some. She would not cry on her wedding day. Atleast, not tears of sorrow.

Her father let go of her hand when they made it to the altar but not before kissing the back of it. He then wheeled himself away to sit beside the end of a pew. Colette felt suddenly alone and turned to stand in front of Gregorie.

He smiled softly at her and grabbed her hands. Colette felt unsure at the moment. Her gaze bore into his and he gave her a reassuring squeeze. His eyes spoke so many promises. They promised a future of content and happiness. A future of passionate love. A future of little ones running around. A future that was bright and vibrant. Not dark and damp and cold. A future not below the ground. A future without death. Without burning orange eyes clawing at her soul.

Before she knew it the ceremony concluded and Gregories family cheered as they made their way back down the aisle. She looked towards her father whose eyes were brimming with tears and noticed then, her own tears streaming down her face.

"Colette." She turned to look at Gregorie and he twirled her around, bringing her to his chest before dipping her towards the ground. "I love you." He whispered and sealed it with a kiss.

The sound of excitement dissolved into the background as she closed her eyes and let him go. The weight of his memory fell from her body and a blissful airiness filled its place. She kissed Gregorie back with such force. She wanted to seal herself up with his mouth. She didn't want to let any of this weightless air escape. She feared the dark shadow she forced from her mind would find its way back in.