Chapter Twenty-Five

Sébastien informed everyone that Colette and her father would be staying as long as they needed to. Niel seemed reluctant about the idea but nodded understandably. Beatrice showed no sign of emotion and left with a curt nod. Aarva was the only one who seemed happy about it, a delicate light had danced across his eyes at the mention of Colette. Even though the smell of Beatrice reeked all over him. He didn't want to ponder too long on what those two had been doing and when. Although a small part of him envied the two and their secret rendezvous.

As he neared the great hall he slowed his steps and lingered n the shadows of the hallway. Colette descended the stairs. She appeared worried as she somberly sat down on the last step, propping her arms on her knees and resting her small chin in her hands. She wore her hair braided into a crown and her skirts today were a lovely shade of pink with gold trim and embroidered flowers running down the panels. Her stay was a simple white color. She looked beautiful with the sun beams creating a halo around her face through the open windows. Just as beautiful as she looked in his dream. Naked.

Sébastien swallowed the lump in his throat and smoothed his hands down his abdomen. He would not let his mind wonder further than that as he walked to the end of the hall and cautiously approached her.

"Lord Sébastien," she blurted, standing quickly.

He raised his hand before she could curtsy. "Please. Sébastien." He noted the tension in her body. She was still wary of him and she should be, he thought mildly. He worried for himself around her. Luckily she was not clothed in that alluring scent of hers. Today she smelled clean. Like fresh linens.

"Would you like to accompany me out to the gardens?" He hoped he sounded nonchalant even though his paw was shaking terribly behind his back.

She raised her brows and looked out at the snow that blanketed the grounds. Sébastien cursed himself.

"How about the libraries then?"

She seemed more inclined to that idea but didn't answer right away. Her eyes studied him and he felt like he had his trousers down with the way she looked at him. Fool. Why would she go anywhere with you? You're a raving beast. A monster. That was what she had called him. And he didn't deny it then.

"I can't read," she lied. He knew she read. She brought back the letter he sent her and Niel noted on more than one occasion she had a book in her lap.

He should have just left her alone and stopped before he embarrassed himself further, but he couldn't help himself and said, "I can read to you."

Her eyes brightened at the suggestion. Something swirled in those soft blue eyes. He so desperately wished he could read minds right about now.

"I- I can read. I just don't read very often."she admitted, offering him a half smile.

He gleamed on the inside but held his calm stature. "Then let me show you to the libraries. I have an expansive collection. I even have manuscripts dating back to Egyptian time." His excitement couldn't be more obvious and it seemed Colette thought so too and she reluctantly stood to her feet and gave him an odd look of sorts.

He cleared his throat, offering her his arm. She stared at it like he might swipe at her. Maybe it was the giddiness he felt but his next words were... less than appropriate. "I don't bite."

Colette laughed. She laughed. At him of course, but she laughed. It was a sweet sound. A little peak but enticing to the ears.

"I find that hard to believe." Was all she said before taking his arm in hers. Sébastien felt on top of the world.

The libraries were two large rooms conjoined together by an arched set of ornate doors that were left open for people to move freely from room to room. The walls were lined in books and several writing desks and tables were laid out in the rooms. A tufted, red, velvet couch with gold trim sat in front of the small hearth in the corner of the first room. Matching plush pillows with gold tassels littered its surface. Other tufted chairs of similar colors filled corners or sat beside a writing desk. Large rugs covered the stone floors, some layered on top of eachother. The room had tall ceilings and intricate chandeliers hung from the dome ceilings. The candles illuminated the room with a hazy, golden light. It smelled like paper and dust.