Chapter Twenty-Four

Colette cried tears of joy when she found her father sitting up in bed. He cried out her name as she climbed into bed beside him, embracing him tightly around the shoulders.

"Father." She sagged against him with relief.

"Father, I- I thought you might..."

"Shhhh. My darling Colette. It's okay." He shushed her as she hi upped and shuddered under his smoothing hand.

"You were so sick and the wounds. Oh papa, they were horrible. I was so scared." Colette nuzzled into her father and he kissed her temple, wincing as her arm slide down his back.

"I- I'm sorry. Your wounds. They aren't completely healed yet."

He grimaced but smiled still as she took in his surroundings. The bed chamber was large and spacious. The massive four poster bed they sat in filled only a small portion of it. Wardrobes, a writing desk, a vanity and chest occupied other walls and spaces. Large velvet rugs were laid across the floor and a tufted chair with a matching ottoman sat by the enormous hearth across from them. The tall windows spilled bright, white light into the room.

"Where is this? How did I get here? And you, Colette. Why are you here?" Puzzlement, wonder and concern filled his voice, shown on his furrowed brow and set mouth.

Colette stared in disbelief at her father. Did his memory betray him? "Oh papa, where has your memory gone to?"

Her fathers face filled with concern as he shook his head, as if to be clearing away clouds in his memory. "We were on our way to Beaumont."

Colette had not thought of their donkey since she arrived to find her father in a cell. What had happened to the poor thing? She closed her eyes, pushing the image of the donkey being feasted on by the wolves away.

Her father continued. "I- I think I lost my way at some point and we pulled over to rest for the night but... but..." It was as if someone had turned on a light in his head as his eyes widened with horror.

"Oh my! Colette. We must leave at once. You must go. Leave me here. Run. Run away. As far as you can. T-there's a... a... monster in this castle. Oh what a hideous monster. Please. Make haste." He pushed at her to leave but Colette batted away his hands.

"I know. I know. He- Lord Sébastien he knows I am here." She looked at her father and saw his face sink and his eyes fill with a dark shadow. Colette turned to see Sébastien standing in the doorway.

He wore a deep blue tunic and simple brown trousers. A black belt was slung around his waist. He looked haggard, like he hadn't gotten any sleep last night. His eyes were a dim orange. His usual fire was nowhere to be seen.

"Lord Sébastien." Colette stood and offered him a slight curtsy. She glanced at her father who looked from her to him with assessing eyes.

"Father. This is..." she held out her hand.

"I am Sébastien Arsenault. You don't have to address me by lord. You are my guest. Formalities are somewhat lost here." He gave a slight shrug as he waltzed in. All three hundred pounds of muscle and fur. He moved gracefully despite his size and came to stand at the end of the bed.

He glanced briefly at Colette before clearing his throat. "How are you feeling?"

Colette's father blinked as if he was still trying to fight another fevered dream. "I... I am well." He said, reluctantly.

"Good."

Colette glanced at him this time. She was waiting for him to bark at them to leave. That is what's expected of them. What she wanted. She turned towards her father. "Are you well enough to travel, father? How is your back?"

She felt his heavy gaze on her turned head. Sébastien's. What did he want?

Her father reached to pull himself out of the bed and groaned, arching his back as pain flashed across his eyes. "Oh," he groaned, settling back into the pillows.

Colette was at his side immediately, stroking his ashen face. He shook his head wearily.

Sébastien cleared his throat again and Colette winced. She knew their time was up. Her father would have to endure the long trek home. As painful as it would be.

"Beatrice will bring you breakfast here soon. I advise you to stay in bed today. Those wounds inflicted in your back were deep. Those take a long while to heal."

Aarvas' scars popped into Colette's head and she glanced down at his pawed hands he held at his sides. As if he sensed her looking at them he shifted them behind his back, rolling his shoulders.

"For now. Rest. Heal. Take as long as you need. My home is yours." His eyes slid to Colette and she couldn't shake the feeling that his words were honest and not an attempt at seeming kind even though he made it very clear to her once her father was well enough they had to leave. Immediately.

Colette's father grumbled beside her. His eyes were full of warriness. "Thank you," he mumbled.

Sébastien gave him a slight nod before briskly leaving. Colette turned towards her father, searching his face. "Are you well father?"

He sank further into the pillows. "I can't feel my legs."

Dread filled Colette as she pulled back his blankets. Beatrice and her had removed what was left of his wooden leg and where it once was is now a stump of flesh. His other leg was intact and Colette touched his ankle, squeezing it lightly. She looked up at her father and he shook his head. She moved up another two inches and did the same. Again, he shook his head. She traveled up to his knee and gave it a knock. He only frowned.

"Papa." She whispered, her voice laced with concern. She reached his thigh and pressed her palm into it. His eyes fluttered slightly.

"You must leave me here Colette. It's better for you if I don't go home." Guilt weighed in his eyes and Colette gritted her teeth in defiance. She would not leave her father here.

"What can I do for you Colette? I have neither of my legs and when I did have one half of them I barely got around. I refuse to place this burden on you. Your young, beautiful. You have so much life to live. So much happiness to experience."

Colette sobbed quietly. She didn't want any of it if she couldn't hear her fathers laugh. Couldn't hear him tinkering away at something. Hear his humorous remarks that made her fold over in laughter. What kind of daughter would she be if she left him here and lived her life carefree?

"I don't want any of that papa. I cannot lose you too."

Her mothers death weighed heavily on her. They couldn't fight the sickness that stole her health, but this. This could be helped. Her father was a brilliant man. He would build some sort of contraption to help him walk again. He only needed the encouragement she so readily wanted to give him. Anything to change his mind.

He ran his hand down her arm, pulling her close to him. "I will not have you stay here with that monster."

Monster. Beast. Killer. Colette saw none of that just a few minutes ago. It was like he was a whole different person. The sincerity in his voice. The calmness he presented. He seemed... different somehow.

"Lord Sébastien- Sébastien, has been kind to us. To me." She reflected on the fact that they were both still alive and well taken care of. They had not gone without anything since being here and to make their stay more comfortable he seemed to linger elsewhere. And despite the horrible things Aarav revealed to her, it seemed that he had changed for the time being.

Her father looked her over. Those pale blue eyes seemed to understand something she was not aware of. "Colette," he spoke softly.

"Yes, papa?"

Hard steel settled into his eyes. "Promise me you'll leave this castle."

She sucked in her lips. The strength to refuse was not found as her fathers eyes bore into her. He was asking her the impossible.

"Please. Please don't make me promise that. Let us stay for a few more days. Maybe your condition will change. We have to try. We have to hope."

Her father reeled back some, his face softening. "Beautiful Colette. You will stay no longer till the week is up."

She bowed, obediently.