Chapter Fifty-Four

Alexandre grunted on the floor of the cottage. He stared into the unforgiving flames of the hearth. He felt nothing below his waist as he dragged himself by the arms to the overturned chair. Anger and disgust gave him the strength to pull himself to sit beside it and shove it upright.

He felt ashamed by how helpless he was. One and a half legs were better than none. He despised his crippledness but not more than he despised the cause behind it.

Alexander grabbed the edge of the table while pulling the chair close behind him. He hoisted himself and managed to get his top portion of body onto the seat. He strained to lift and turn himself into the chair and after he settled in he was severely out of breath.

He shook his head bitterly. It was not the first time he had fallen over in the chair reaching for something. The chair was poorly designed when it came to weight distribution and balance. After studying the mechanics of it he quite frankly could have done a better job, given if he had the opportunity then to do so, but he didn't.

He was stuck in that humongous bed pissing on himself half the time. And that god forsaken beast of a lord had the nerve to deny him death. Maybe it was his pride that told him to write a letter to the beast. Maybe it was the fear that he might come looking for Colette that had him scribbling away into the night. Perhaps it was the maid that notably disliked the lord he wrote the letter out to and waited for her response. It couldn't have come any quicker and between more exchanged letters they devised their plan to kill the beast lord.