Chapter Thirty-Two

Absolutely not!

Niel shoved the piece of parchment across the desk towards Sébastien.

"It's dinner. Nothing more. She wanted to do my portrait. How could I deny her that request? It's one evening. I'll be on my best behavior. I promise."Sébastien said exasperatedly, rolling his eyes.

Niel clamped his mouth shut before scribbling away again.

You cannot afford to get close to the girl. Remember what happened last time.

Sébastien snarled. "This is not the same. She is not Ayra."

Niel huffed, looking towards the heavens.

"She is not Ayra." Sebastain barked. "She has no interest in bedding me as I have no interest in doing the same. She sees me as nothing more than..." Fascinating. Unparalleled. Alluring. Colette's words echoed through Sébastien's mind before he finished his sentence. "A beast. A monster if I remember were her exact words."

Niels glare lessened and he had to take a deep breath and exhale before writing again.

You are neither of those things. I'm sorry. I wish only that you live out the rest of your life in peace.

In solitude, Sébastien thought. He had decided the day Ayra had died that solitude would be his home and nothing else. Now... he was unsure if being alone was something he could fathom doing for the next fifty years.

"Please, Niel. Allow me one evening with a beautiful woman for one last night before I retreat back to my solitude."

Niels' eyes shimmered with sympathy before writing again.

She is not the one to free you of this curse. It is you who frees yourself from this curse. By choosing to live differently than who you were before.

Sébastien took Niels words to heart. He was the only person who didn't blanch when he saw him after what the witch had done to him. He looked straight into his eyes and promised him companionship through whatever laid before him. He was more of a father to him then his own father was. He owed a huge significant portion of his life to the man.

"I know."

Niel picked up the quill once more.

I will agree to this one evening with Colette, but if you feel yourself leaning into your desires you run. Run. Get as far away from her as possible. Lock yourself up in the watchtower and sink your claws into your own flesh. Until the pain overrides the desire. Till nothing you see or want becomes sharp, unending pain.

Sébastien took a steadying breath. He knew that pain all too well.

"I will, you have my word."

Niel nodded before tearing the parchment in half.

...

It seemed that Sébastien was going to have to try's lot harder than he realized at keeping himself together.

"Sébastien." Colette greeted him at the entrance of the foyer, her lashes dipping down in a shy gesture.

She wore the most exquisite gown. It was an ivory fabric with red roses embroidered into the surface. The sleeves were long and billowed out around her wrist which were tied with red ribbon bows. The collar of the dress rose up and bunched around her neck in tight folds, right beneath her chin where another red ribbon had been tied into a bow. It then opened at the bottom to reveal her collarbone and the deep red stay beneath. The gown was fitted to her body in such a complimentary way it was as if the dress had been made specifically for her. Her skirts were of the same deep red color and fanned out beneath the gown in a Victorian style. She was regal and surreal and Sébastien could not hide his astonishment.

"Colette. You look..."

"Overdressed," she muttered, brushing past him towards the food that was laid out behind him on a low table.

"Beautiful." He mumbled to himself. She seemed to be in a mood.

"I don't know what Beatrice was thinking putting me in this gown when I told her to pick something out she wouldn't mind me getting dirty in."

Colette huffed and took a seat on the tufted chair beside the table. "I mean honestly. How does she expect me to handle anything in this attire?"

Sébastien hadn't stopped gawking until her fuming eyes settled on his face. A light blush worked its way across her cheeks and before she could get another word out Sebastian interjected.

"I think she had other things in mind when she picked this out for you." That maid knew exactly what she was doing, dressing Colette in such a revealing gown. The high neckline brought a person's eye right beneath it. Right into that all so tempting window of perfectly tan skin.

Colette only looked confused. "I- I wanted to look presentable this evening, but practical and comfortable enough to draw in. Charcoal is a messy medium to use. I'd hate to get it on this beautiful gown."

She wanted to look presentable? She cared enough about what he thought of her? Hmmm.

"I think the gown is lovely on you. I would have to agree with you on the matter of doing anything... dirty in it. You wouldn't want to..." rip it apart "ruin it..." spill my seed all over it. "By getting charcoal on it." God have mercy on my soul. "If you'd like, we can have dinner and you could change into something more.." or nothing at all. "Comfortable." He finally gritted out. He did not want to run yet. He couldn't, not this early.

Colette heaved a sigh, smoothing her hands down the wine colored skirts. A glass of wine sounded good right about now, Sébastien thought tearsly.

"Oh, it is alright. I'll just have to be extra careful is all. I needn't bother changing again. It would only take up time and we only have the sun for another hour or so." She waved her hand dismissively.

"Alright, then." Sébastien, spoke. "Let's have dinner."