Chapter Fourty-Seven

Sébastien set an arrow loose and watched it shoot across the air and plunge into the neck of a small doe feeding near the tree line. The doe jumped from the impact and set to take off before tumbling down to its front knees then keeling over.

He tugged in the rope that was attached to the arrow and hauled the doe up the side of the castle wall. Bright red blood trickled down its neck in a thin stream. It was a clean hit. As were most of his shots this week.

He tied off its boney legs and hoisted it over his shoulder before making the trek back to the castle's kitchen.

"My, my, my... another doe? I think we've plenty of meat for the winter m' Lord." Aarav said, gesturing to the last victims remains strung along some twine to dry.

Sébastien huffed, and dropped the limp animal on the table. "Skin it. Clean it. Butcher it." He did not have the patience today to deal with Aarvas humor.

It had been over a month now since Colette and her father left his castle. It would be a joy to say he did not think about her night and day but that was not plausible.

He gave the brown eyed man a stern look and Aarva gingerly took the doe and set to work.

Sébastien found his way into his bedchamber and clambered into the massive four poster bed. He heaved a sigh as he turned onto his back and stared up into the interior beveled panel above. How long had it been since  he had a decent hour of sleep?
He struggled to find peace at night while his mind filtered through the memories and images of Colette. He found it hard to forget about her when he was alone with his thoughts. Desire overtook him at night and sometimes during the day. He would mawl at his bedding, thrusting into its firm flesh, aching to find any form of relief from the blistering need that burned inside of him.

Niel kept his distance. Leaving him space to mourn over Colette. That's what he was doing. Mourning over the loss of her. He decided that morning from the watchtower as he watched her and her father leave through the gates that she no longer existed. That she had died and he would never see her again. It was the only thing keeping him from following after her. If he believed she did not exist anymore he would have no reason to die going after her.

He turned onto his side and studied the scales that covered the inside of his paw. What did his hand look like before? It had been so long since he thought about his previous body. He was young then too. What would he look like now if the curse was broken? What nature of man would he be?