Chapter Fourty

Colette blew warm air into her gloved fingers. She took the liberty of wandering around to the backside of the castle. It was cold outside and the sun was shielded by grey, slithering clouds. The sky looked heavy with rain and she hoped  it did not let down as she made her way along a sloping, gravel path that led towards a small cathedral. The cathedral was built in a small clearing between two, towering, planted trees. Their limbs were bare and rugged looking and the color of their bark was similar to that of the sky. Snow crusted the ground around the cathedral. It's thin, brittle covering we're the remains after yesterday's surprisingly warm evening sun.

She wasn't sure what she would do once she made her way into the wooden doors of the cathedral but she had to distance herself from the castle. It felt too crowded when she ran into Sébastien this morning. His presence and the longing in his eyes made her feel overwhelmed, especially after the conversation she had with her father. She would leave tomorrow morning and travel back home, alone. Back to Gregorie. From what her father had said, Sébastien out of the kindness of his heart offered him permanent residency here for the rest of his life. On one condition. That she would never come to visit him. Her fathers request. But she knew deep down that Sébastien had possibly agreed to it as well. He did tell her to run for her life. From him. Was that what she was doing? Running?

Colette made it to the doors of the Cathedral and pushed them open. A blast of cold, dusty air rushed past her and the hinges of the door groaned as they parted. It was a small cathedral, more than likely intended for family members only. Four pews filled the space and an altar stood at the front. Two arched, stained glass windows lined both walls and a beautiful, brightly colored rose window loomed above the altar on the back wall. A shelf of gold candelabras set beneath the ornate window.

Colette found solitude in a back pew and sat in quiet prayer. She recited the words and prayed to be released from this feeling she had towards Sebastian. She prayed that her marriage to Gregorie would be enough  and that her father would be safe and content with living here for the rest of his life.
She hadn't realized the tears that fell silently from her face as she said amen. She wiped at her eyes with the back of her glove and stared into the rose window. The light trickling in through the numerous petals filtered through the orange and red glass creating a hazy swirl of flame colored light. It reminded her of Sébastien's eyes and she wished she could have painted them before she left tomorrow.

A cold breeze blew through the cathedral and she turned in her seat to see Niel walk in. He stumbled back, surprised to see her. Colette stood immediately. "I'm sorry. I can leave if you need privacy."

Niel gave her a pleasant smile and gestured for her to stay. So she sat back down and he closed the doors behind him. She watched him walk up to the altar and kneel. He prayed silently for a few minutes before rising and coming back to her. He reached out his hand and she took it. He guided them outside and around to the back of the cathedral where a large cemetery plot was.

This must be where Aarav had told her Sébastien buried his family members after he mercilessly killed them. An unpleasant weight settled into her as Niel brought them to stand in front of a grave. This grave was smaller than the others and sat outside the clustered, towering gravestones of his immediate family. There was nothing ornate about the little hedge stone that protruded from the icy ground, other than the name engraved into it with bold, narrow letters.

AYRA

Colette looked to Niel for more information. "Who is this?"

His eyes darkened and he pulled a folded piece of parchment from his pocket and placed it into her palm. He turned away to walk and observe the other hedge stones while she opened up the note and read it silently to herself.